Bifurcating x16 to 2*x8 Riser Card for M11SDV-8CT-LN4F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cuco

Feb 13, 2018
Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Not heard any feedback on the AMD boards but generally speak it should work as expected.
I would use the SM ones over no name options.

kingpin

Apr 28, 2019
would a riser+bifurcation card, that would allow two slim x8 cards to make use of a single x16 slot, be of any interest (for example to fit a mini ITX server board in a Node 304 case, and make better use of the x16 slot)? I am currently discussing it with a riser/bifurcation card maker who is willing to build such stuff

cuco

Feb 13, 2018
Yes. It really would be!
right now i use a combination of two x8 cables and the supermicrop riser.
But this hast some problems. Sometimes one or both of the two cards is/are not present at start up.
Right now i am using a 90w picoPSU with a
M11SDV-8CT-LN4F with 32GB Ram, intel optane 480gb, melan0x connectX3 40G nic and a samsung PM1725 with 3.2TB.
Perhaps the psu has not enough power. I check that in the next days with an other psu.
But perhaps the cabel-riser combo simply does not work properly.
So if you have a better solution i am willing to buy and test!

EricO

Jan 3, 2020

EricO

Jan 3, 2020
Hello, Were you able to resolve this bifurcation question. We do custom Rackmount chassis and riser cards and are considering making our own riser card, but I wanted to see if there was an off the shelf solution that already works?

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
The Ameri-rack ARC1-PELY423-C5V3 is what you are looking for. Let me know if you need me to send you my sales rep - I've heard of people having trouble getting them to sell single boards, but I haven't had a problem.

kingpin

Apr 28, 2019
Hello, Were you able to resolve this bifurcation question. We do custom Rackmount chassis and riser cards and are considering making our own riser card, but I wanted to see if there was an off the shelf solution that already works?
Besides the Ameri-Rack option mentioned by JoshDi, I did not find any viable option.
Even this one is largely an improvisation not being able to use it properly in a case like Node 304.
The best option would be a riser/bifurcation card, to be mounted in the full x16 slot and deliver two x8 slim slots. Something similar with this: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PCI-Express-Adapter-Card/dp/B0024CV3SA, but having x16 instead of x1, and two x8 instead of the regular PCI.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Besides the Ameri-Rack option mentioned by JoshDi, I did not find any viable option.
Even this one is largely an improvisation not being able to use it properly in a case like Node 304.
The best option would be a riser/bifurcation card, to be mounted in the full x16 slot and deliver two x8 slim slots. Something similar with this: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PCI-Express-Adapter-Card/dp/B0024CV3SA, but having x16 instead of x1, and two x8 instead of the regular PCI.
I've looked around and Ameri-Rack is the only option besides the boards that Christian Peine has made via his store: About Us

stronthoop

Sep 24, 2020
Maybe a stupid question, but is bifurcation only possible from the x16 slot to 2*x8 or is it also possible from 2*x8 to an x16 slot?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Maybe a stupid question, but is bifurcation only possible from the x16 slot to 2*x8 or is it also possible from 2*x8 to an x16 slot?
2*x8 to an x16 slot will not called bifurcation.
2*x8 slots are the result from bifurcation of a 16 lanes PCIe port.
theoretical it is possible to clear the bifurcation in the BIOS and reintegrate the 2*x8 to one x16. problem will be the signal lenght, maybe a retimer is required or something else.

Reactions: stronthoop