Big 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable Refresh Brings Competition Anew

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Edu

Aug 8, 2017
BTW, Ice Lake SP HCC and XCC parts will not be available in 2020. This is according to internal Lenovo leak: Google Translate

I suspect Intel will paper launch Ice Lake SP this year.

Edu

Aug 8, 2017
Yep.
One thing I don't understand is this refresh getting higher clocks because of a node improvement (I mean like 14nm+++), or is it just because they increased the TDP?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
A bit on higher TDP and clocks.

More of it is they just re-branded SKUs in their existing stack +/- 100MHz. These days, small changes like that can be absorbed in how the processor manages turbo.

Edu

Aug 8, 2017
It's crazy that they release these SKUs now and in a couple of months they are going to release Cooper lake (which is yet another refresh). The market will be awash with new SKUs which are barely distinguishable between each other

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It's crazy that they release these SKUs now and in a couple of months they are going to release Cooper lake (which is yet another refresh). The market will be awash with new SKUs which are barely distinguishable between each other
Cooper will be different.