Safest Update Procedure?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
I am running napp-it 0.6i on OpenIndiana 151a and would like to update to 151a5 and napp-it 0.8k (with latest netatalk also).

Which to update first, napp-it or OI? I assume the "894 updates, 8 installs, 1 remove" offered in the OI GUI update manager would take me to 151a5.

My guess is update OI, then to update larger steps of napp-it I should essentially re-install it using wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl (rather than using the built-in updater facility), then re-install AFP using wget -O - www.napp-it.org/afp3 | perl.

Should I expect the settings to all be retained?

Thank you.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I am running napp-it 0.6i on OpenIndiana 151a and would like to update to 151a5 and napp-it 0.8k (with latest netatalk also).

Which to update first, napp-it or OI? I assume the "894 updates, 8 installs, 1 remove" offered in the OI GUI update manager would take me to 151a5.

My guess is update OI, then to update larger steps of napp-it I should essentially re-install it using wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl (rather than using the built-in updater facility), then re-install AFP using wget -O - www.napp-it.org/afp3 | perl.

Should I expect the settings to all be retained?

Thank you.
thats correct
- update OI, reboot
- update napp-it via wget (update-menu gives an error), reboot
- update afp via wget, reboot

beside afp, all settings are kept, check napp-it jobs or recreate them for newer options

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
So far so good, I just now rebooted after the AFP update, and watching the verbose boot scroll by I saw something like: mDNSResponder registered two identical services, referring to some component of AFP. I'm not sure where the boot log is stored, I couldn't find it in var/log/ anywhere. Any cause for concern?

My first attempt to see AFP shared ZFS folders from OS X resulted in a failure to log in. I used napp-it to re-enable AFP for the user in question (I only use one user usually) then it worked.

One minor problem is that of the three ZFS folders that I share using AFP, one of them still says 'off' in the top ZFS Folder menu, and the other two say 'on' but I can mount all three of them in the Finder.

One question - would there be any file locking issues if I try to share a ZFS folder both with AFP and with NFS? So far I always keep NBMAND off. I currently do not use SMB on any shared folders.

Thank you!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
netatalk3 is really new and hot and a huge improvement but it is completely different to netatalk2.
It is so new that you have a good chance to be the first to report some problems.

about the file locking
I have not found the time to check all settings.
But there is a note at netatalk that file-locking is working with SMB (and NFS ?) now
-with or without nbmand ?

If you invest some time to find insights - please share

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
Though I don't feel I'm sure about the process of updating the database backed of existing AFP shares, in normal use so far Netatalk 3 is working well.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
It's yearly update time again... I'm currently running napp-it free appliance v 0.9a6 nightly Jan 30.2013 on oi_151a7. It is still recommended to update first OI to 151a8, then napp-it? Should I go to the d2 or e1 napp-it for this main OI system which is running a number of KVMs? Use update from web config or wget?

Do I need to also do new AFP wget install (v 3.0.2 is running now)

Thank you!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
There are no specials in napp-it between OI 151.a7 and OI 151.a8
so there is no special update order

You can update napp-it from 0.9a6 with menu System-Update (no reboot needed)
An update via wget is only needed if something goes wrong with the online update.

Napp-it 0.9e1 is a Pro-preview with newest features and bugfixes.
Beside these features it is the same as 0.9d2 (newest free).
http://www.napp-it.org/downloads/changelog.html

There is no need to reinstall netatalk3 unless you do a complete reinstall of OI.

Last edited:

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
There is no need to reinstall netatalk3 unless you do a complete reinstall of OI.
Early indications are that the update(s) went fine. Question though - Netatalk was not updated, and I'm not quite sure what mechanism would update that (maybe using your perl magic it was installed from source???). I see at the Netatalk page there have been several point updates (3.0.x) and in October 3.1.0 was released. If these updates are dependent on you (Gea) to test and incorporate into your perl script, then perhaps now, or wait for 3.1.1, would be good for an update?

Or should I try to do it myself :eek:

I can't risk screwing up my AFP share files though.

Thanks for everything you do, Gea!

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
I can answer much of this for myself, but would appreciate guidance from the community!

Taking a minute to look at http://www.napp-it.org/afp -- it is a perl script that installs Berkeley db and Netatalk. Since I have previously run this install script, I suppose I could quite easily do it myself, manually, following the parts of the script for my OS (OpenIndiana) that relate to installing those from source. Here is what I'm thinking (I know, basic stuff for many of you):

The current napp-it afp installer script (as of 1 Jan 2014) uses version 4.7.25 of oracle Berkeley db -- Netatalk wants minimum 4.6, but newer versions exist. Stick with 4.7.25 ??? Version 4.8.30 is tempting as the next newer one after that is a major numbering jump. Both are quite old though, so Gea probably had a reason to choose 4.7.25 so I would guess I should just leave it alone and skip to the new Netatalk.

The current napp-it afp installer script uses version 3.0.4 of Netatalk -- 3.1.0 is available, or 3.0.6 probably safer as 3.1.0 is recommended for "early adopters".

In this case the essential steps would be (correct me if I'm wrong!):

• stop running services
svcadm disable svc:/network/dns/multicast:default
svcadm disable svc:/network/netatalk:default​
• download and unpack the Netatalk source from sourceforge page (eg sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk/files/netatalk/3.0.6/netatalk-3.0.6.tar.bz2/download)
• ./configure --without-ddp --with-init-style=solaris
• make
• make install
• start services
svcadm enable svc:/network/dns/multicast:default
svcadm enable svc:/network/netatalk:default​

No reboot should be required (?). See if it worked by /usr/local/sbin/afpd -V and observing new version number.

----UPDATE----

Following these instructions, I updated my installed version from 3.0.2 to 3.0.6 and it worked fine.

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
I'll probably try 3.0.6 as I'm not that interested in the new Spotlight feature of the 3.1 branch.

I guess it will be nice to merge Netatalk in with Samba, but obviously they still need to work out how to preserve the extended attributes of HFS+ on other file systems.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
There are only two problems left:

- you currently need afp for time-machine:
But compared to ZFS timemachine is not a really a good technology

- AFP is faster than SMB on Mac's (SMB is much faster on Windows)

Both "problems" are Apple's problem as they intend to move to SMB
so not a problem of the netatalk team