Guinea pigs needed - aka FreeNas 11.3 is out

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I know thats mean, they've been working hard to make it good:)

Been waiting for ages for the new replication engine (resume on failed transfers!) so quite exited:)
Didnt have an issue with the RC's, but prolly going to wait a bit nevertheless;)

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Yup....I never update unless about 2-3 months have passed and all the critical bugs are fixed or were non-existent in the first place.

Shane

Aug 4, 2018
11.3 working fine for me. I have already stopped using any plugins, so it's just a NAS on a ESXI VM.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
just did my testbox - only glitch I had was browser cache still offering UNIX/Win sharetypes which is deprecated. Clearing of cache and or reboot of the box helped...

herby

Aug 18, 2013
I guess I should at least update to 11.2 at this point. I haven't heard of any huge flubs since Coral, but of any of my systems my NAS is the one I want to mess up the least.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
offtopic question from freenas-noob...
i installed freenas (v11-3) on usb stick and putted to microserver gen8 usb2.0 port.

i can boot in freenas, but only thing i see, is some kind of CLI-ish interface. is this normal on the machine running freenas from usb stick?

from another machine (within the same network) i can open webgui and configure freenas (making pool, setting smb shares etc etc).

is this normal for freenas? no webgui on freenas-machine itsself?

sorry for my stupid question, but this is my very first experiment with freenas

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
Yes it's normal.
You haven't UI on the host itself but you can enter in the shell (option 9 if i'm remember correctly)
From that you can do some stuffs, but as long as you can, prefer to use the FreeNas GUI.

Reactions: ari2asem

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yeah, have updated all but my main rig too, not a single issue yet... I'll wait a bit nevertheless;)

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
Playing with it, found I can not remove an associate target and extent.

Reminds me every time I try freenas, always problems.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Maybe you use too exotic functionality;)

Did my main rig yesterday - have not found an issue yet thankfully

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
My unifi controller lost connection to my swith and AP, so all devices i own.
Not sure when, why or how this happened, but even the new community plugin won't work after importing the old config.
A clean install can't find any of the devices either.

I suspect that happened when i updated to 11.3

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
Maybe you use too exotic functionality;)

Did my main rig yesterday - have not found an issue yet thankfully
Very simple, created 2 luns and assigned to ESX cluseter, create 2 datastores and finish test. Delete one datastore and tried to remove the lun to reclaim space. It give warning the lun is in use, select confirm box and save, nothing happens.

You may want to try to see if you can reproduce it.

Last edited:

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
I also have another issue with diskinfo -wS.
256 kbytes: diskinfo: AIO write submit error: Operation not supported
It completed previous test from 4K to 128K.

I don't have the issue on Intel bored with the same HGST SN260, so this might be related to EPYC platform.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i am sorry for my comment (from a freenas-noob), but when i read your issue's, i cannn't imagine that such a famous product as freenas, is immature...it migth be wrong impression, but that is the feeling i have when i read these replies....i think i will not use use freenas as a NAS solution

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
Update.
Swapped the disk with X9 server, the same disk completed diskinfo test on X9, but the one on the X9 failed on EPYC server. So this is a platform related issue.

iSCSI lun removal issue, I was able to reproduce on X9.

Another issue.
For LACP lag, for some reason, one port keeps get blocked every time I reboot. I have to disable and re-enable the port. Doesn't happen on Linux with same lag config on both switch and client.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You opened/checked bug reports for these?
I mena they probably test a lot, but to test every single combination of hw and options might be a bit too much - after all this is the test platform for TrueNas after all, not the other way round;)

My unifi controller lost connection to my swith and AP, so all devices i own.
They changed jail networking i think (shared single IP instead of 1 IP per jail), maybe you need to config sth...

i am sorry for my comment (from a freenas-noob), but when i read your issue's, i cannn't imagine that such a famous product as freenas, is immature...it migth be wrong impression, but that is the feeling i have when i read these replies....i think i will not use use freenas as a NAS solution
Well if you consider what happens if Microsoft releases a new Windows system... or every so often even on a patch? And they do run far more extensive tests than IX ever could...

thulle

Apr 11, 2019
Upgraded to 11.3 this weekend.
The API started returning 202 Accepted instead of 200 on some calls, which I guess is more correct, but it broke some automation and isn't even reflected in the documentation that still says 200 is the reply given on no errors.
I got some ACL-issues on SMB-shares, not sure why, but I found some other ACL-issues too and decided to use the new ACL-editor to fix it. Really liked it!
Other than that it's working great, I really like the UI-fixes.

Running 3 HBAs in a QEMU/KVM VM.