Virtualize or not?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Frolix8

Feb 20, 2020
I am setting up a server for a new customer. We have an HP Server with 4 x 2TB space setup on RAID 10. The Server has Windows 2019 Essentials. It’s been several years since I have set up a server as we generally use a Cloud solution for Small business. However, this customer has applications that need to be run off a server and very bad (non-existent) broadband! I see the current best practice seems to Virtualize. However, I have no real experience with this and looking for some advice? Virtualize or not?

Ruklaw

Dec 12, 2016
Yes, virtualize.

There's very little reason not to nowadays. You basically need to have a very good reason to run physical now IMHO.

Hyper-V 2019 is free to use and very full featured.

Time comes to upgrade/replace hardware you can move the virtual server with zero downtime.

Reactions: Frolix8

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
I will go with Virtualisation but you need to look at the hardware. RAID-10 will present a 4TB volume that you then need to carve up. Install a paird of SSD's, put Hypervisor on them then run the VM's and host from the SSD array. Create a second VHD on the big array. Don't pass the array directly through to the guest or you will lock yourself to whatever hardware you have (not mentioned in your OP).