Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) Slow to Initialize

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
Hello all,

I have a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials lost network connection in the middle of the night, but got it back after a reboot. However, Intel RST icon in the task tray shows "Initializing" and it's doing it very slowly - only 8% after 1hr. Can anybody tell me what it means when Intel RST is taking this long to initialize?

Thanks,
James

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
It sounds like RST is doing some form of array rebuild, do you see a lot of cpu/disk usage currently and what raid level is RST using right now?

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
Thanks for the reply Deslok. It's just 2 drives in a RAID1. Resource usage seems normal: CPU usage is ~6%, Disk ~5%, memory ~23%. Everything is slower than normal, but not terrible.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
You either had a BSOD, Power-Outage or you have a bad drive. Either way, RST is rebuilding the array and yes, will be very slow operation of the server thanks to the heavy I/O going on. Might suggest you get an IT person to look at the server. The fact you asked the question suggests you are not strong with hardware.