HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus is Worth Getting Excited About

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
This is a cool setup.

+1 on the re-inclusion of iLo

now for the pricing...

Chris

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Is there m.2 NVMe on the motherboard? Doesn't look like it in the picture. Would really be useful, especially if you want to use the PCIe slot for 10/25 Gbe networking.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Is there m.2 NVMe on the motherboard? Doesn't look like it in the picture. Would really be useful, especially if you want to use the PCIe slot for 10/25 Gbe networking.
I totally agree. I do not think there is a M.2 slot from the pictures/ specs.

For some time in Q3/Q4 there was a chance we would get a beta sample. This would have been feedback if that occurred.

More when we can publish a full review.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Too bad. As a file server it would make a great cache device (either ZFS or Unraid or whatever). Or a way to host containers/VMs with reasonable performance without using one of the 3.5" slots. Seems a simple thing to add. They should have plenty of free PCIe lane and board real-estate is small.

Oh well.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
I thought the pictures were cropped at first.

I just bought a used Microserver gen10, I should have waited!

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
This is a great starting point.

Would love to see future iterations include:
swappable NIC options to have 10Gb without using up the only PCIe lane
4x DIMM slots
NVMe

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Reactions: SRussell

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
quad i350 is nice, some sort of mezzanine card with a 10gb option would have been better though especially for duty as a fileserver

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
You know, I see the appeal of the Microserver G7 back when it was 300-400 USD for a barebones 4 slot NAS chassis (it was competitive against the ARM based 4 bay stuff back then). I saw the G8's appeal when you could pull that crappy Pentium out and swap it for a low-voltage Ivy Xeon. When it got to the Gen 10 with the soldered weak APU I am not quite convinced (especially when something like a Qnap TVS473e is around the same pricing ballpark-wise and offers more expandability)> . With the G10 Plus, it's going up against something like the SuperMicro SuperServer E800-9D...and it still comes up short on bang-for-buck (especially the AMD Epyc version). Seriously - external power bricks? Only 2 RAM slots, a USB2 internal port (didn't FreeNAS just mandate USB3 for their media on their version 12 trains) and OH WOW 4 drive bays? It's 800 USD for a base model and you still to buy a license for iLOM/IPMI functionality?

Seriously, HPE, I know those Microservers are meant to be gateway drugs into your Proliant ecosystem, but what's wrong with slapping together a cheap-and-cheery little box that punches above its weight?

Last edited:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Very good product, except for HPE making an unfortunate choice with CPU vendor (as been pointed out by others)!
If HPE had chosen an AMD platform such as AMD EPYC Embedded 3000 (https://www.amd.com/en/products/embedded-epyc-3000-series), i would have ordered this without hesitating.
Eh...even with an Epyc that 2 RAM slot thing will still not fly (it really should be 4 or more so admins don't have to spring for high density RAM).
Why put a USB2 port inside the chassis when USB3 drives are plentiful and pretty much universal, or why not an SDXC slot or 2 for hypervisor boot media? No M.2 PCIe slots for implementing flash caches/L2ARCs? Its overpriced for a 2 slot, 4 bay NAS (even before we factor in the cost of an HPE support contract), and you are still better served by a 3 year old SuperMicro SYS5028D-TN4T or an E300-9D.

The service and maintenance manual is already out - I don't see any exciting, killer features that would make me want to grab the home credit card out - about the only thing it makes me lust for is...when Qnap does a fire sale on their TVS677 Ryzen NAS to clear inventory for its replacement - the old school Ryzens perform like the Xeon E-2224s, it's 6 bay (raidz2 with 1 single hot spare) and a decidedly better machine than this one (even if it currently retails at double the price of the MSG10P)

Then of course, the important question for a "branch office hypervisor node" which is what this is for, really...can this be placed into a ventilated closet without sounding like Tuesday morning at O'Hare airport? That would require a review unit.

Alright, @Patrick, work your magic. I am rather skeptical at how this is good for my home environment - give me a run-down when you pick one up.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Give it a few weeks for the full probing.

On noise 21dba is quiet.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Don't forget to check for ASCCtl and all the usual SRIOV stuff - with an i350 quadport NIC on board and that PCIe x16 port, it better allow admins to pass VFs to hypervisor guests via our usual suspects (Proxmox, VMWare ESXi 6.7, etc...)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
On Provantage the Gen10 Plus E-2224 models are 36% off which puts the Xeon E-2224 diskless version at $578. That is not too bad.

Call tomorrow to find out when I can start posting more info about these.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So I think I have an "OK" solution for this, but it is not great. Parts should all be here by Monday.