Intel VROC - How to identify disk to filesystem association

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chrisk2305

Jan 25, 2017
Hi Guys,

I currently have a system that has two RAID1 data volumes. (2 x 2 1,6TB Intel NVMe SSD). The two raid volumes where build via Intel VROC. I now need to extend one of the volumes to 3,2tb disks and I am pulling my hair out how to identify what disks belong to which filesystem. I just want make sure i am not pulling out the disks of the raid1 I do not wan't to extend.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Typically this is specified in the BIOS VROC section.

What OS are you running, windows or linux/unix?

chrisk2305

Jan 25, 2017
Windows Server 2019. The problem is that the 4 SSDs in the 2 Raid1 Volumes are exactly the same. The serial doesn't help me either.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Not helpful, sorry: documentation is key;)
Not helpful either - just plug one to see what fails?

A bit helpful maybe - try isdct (or smart maybe) to see current write usage (in bytes preferably) - then write a bunch that you dont write to the other array and see which drives increase the appropriate amount (more or less o/c if the other is in use too)

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Are they Intel DC drives? Can you try the Intel DC tool?

Also, you may want to try the Intel VROC GUI to identify the drives

If not, try doing a smart test so you can get more information on the individual drives

chrisk2305

Jan 25, 2017
Yes they are Intel DC drives. The VROC Gui doesn't help (at least I couldn't find my desired info). How can the intel DC tool be helpful here?

@Rand_: Yes..documentation would be helpful but I just forgot to do that ;-)

Even if I pull out one drive, I would not get the info I need - I would need to pull at least 2 drives because then I can see what filesystem disappears but for obvious reasons I don't wanna do that.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
wouldnt you see the raid as degraded then?
Never used it, but I'd hope it displays such relevant info

and isdct - can it access the drives directly or does it not see them when in raid?

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Yes they are Intel DC drives. The VROC Gui doesn't help (at least I couldn't find my desired info). How can the intel DC tool be helpful here?

@Rand_: Yes..documentation would be helpful but I just forgot to do that ;-)

Even if I pull out one drive, I would not get the info I need - I would need to pull at least 2 drives because then I can see what filesystem disappears but for obvious reasons I don't wanna do that.
The Intel DC or Intel VROC GUI should be able to show you the serial numbers of the drives in each array. SmartD should also be able to identify the drives as well.

Maybe as a last resort, use a partition tool to resize one of the partitions on the duplicate arrays so you can identify?

chrisk2305

Jan 25, 2017
I can see the serials but that doesn't help as I still don't know if they belong (in my case to drive letter D: or E:).

If i pull one drive it would show as degraded but I still would not know to what drive letter the degraded array belongs.

isdct can see the individual drives.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
I can see the serials but that doesn't help as I still don't know if they belong (in my case to drive letter D: or E:).

If i pull one drive it would show as degraded but I still would not know to what drive letter the degraded array belongs.

isdct can see the individual drives.
How about going into Device Manager -> Disk Drives and then go to the Volumes tab.

Alternatively, go into Computer Management -> Storage - > Disk Management

chrisk2305

Jan 25, 2017
@JoshDi: Sorry, but I still wouldn't know how to figure out what volume belongs to what array. Here is a screenshot (unfortunately in german):

intelraid.JPG

I can see the drive letter under the volumes tab but still don't know to what array it belongs.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If you can use isdct to access the drives you can try to 'data write test' i suggested writing to either of the volumes.
1. take down current amount of bytes written for each drive
2. write 1T to one of the arrays (while writing significantly less on the other array)
3. identify which drives had a tb written