ESXi Node - (ISCSI or NFS) ZFS datastore for Backup Purpose

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ciclonite

Feb 9, 2020
Hi all,
I have read some threads concerning ZFS filesystems on NFS to use them as ESXi datastore.
I have a few questions to ask about using this architecture using ZFS snapshots as a rollback tool for ESX virtual machines.
If i schedule ZFS snapshots for the DATASTORE mounted in NFS, can I roll back without problems?
I found posts that say this method is not best practice for protecting virtual machines because you have no consistency mechanism.
Any opinion about this?
Thanks a lot!.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I considered writing the same for you but then thought about it and I think @acquacow is still correct.
As long as you simply do snapshots of your primary storage system its not per sé a backup but more an advanced feature of your raid system.
Now if you replicate that snapshot to another box *then* you have a backup technically speaking

Thanks for reply, but what can happen?
Server burns down?

Follow the 3 - 2 -1 rule for backups :)

ciclonite

Feb 9, 2020
I considered writing the same for you but then thought about it and I think @acquacow is still correct.
As long as you simply do snapshots of your primary storage system its not per sé a backup but more an advanced feature of your raid system.
Now if you replicate that snapshot to another box *then* you have a backup technically speaking

Server burns down?

Follow the 3 - 2 -1 rule for backups :)
Thanks for reply. This is not the primary server, but a secondary server, that is a replica of my primary. For me this is a way to rollback the vm if it necessary. Syneto do the same, in proprietary way.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ok.

ideally the zfs snapshots should be in sync with quiescing of the VM on esxi side -
I know FreeNas can do that, not sure about OmniOS/Napp-It

make sure it works as expected before relying on it.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Napp-it can do quiescing and ESXi hot memory snaps as a pre/post action in the autosnap function..

Reactions: Rand__