Aruba S3500 VLAN Configuration

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
My head is spinning trying to figure out setting up VLANs on the S3500the way I want. I know there's members here with experience on Aruba OS, so thought I'd ask if what I want to do is even possible before I dig in further.

Can I set up my VLANs so that for one VLAN the device IPs get assigned via the S3500's DHCP server function, while for another VLAN the devices get their IPs assigned through an upstream Router connected to the home's gateway device? I'm wanting the VLAN with IPs assigned from the S3500 to have no upstream connectivity past the S3500.

Tutorials I'm finding on DHCP through Aruba OS all seem to assume the switch will assign IPs on all the VLANs, not just some (or one).

Thanks!

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
for the VLANs that you want to get IP's assigned upstream, you will need to add a DHCP forwarder setting ( the upstream DHCP server/router IP) on that VLAN.

Chris

Reactions: Markess

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
My head is spinning trying to figure out setting up VLANs on the S3500the way I want. I know there's members here with experience on Aruba OS, so thought I'd ask if what I want to do is even possible before I dig in further.

Can I set up my VLANs so that for one VLAN the device IPs get assigned via the S3500's DHCP server function, while for another VLAN the devices get their IPs assigned through an upstream Router connected to the home's gateway device? I'm wanting the VLAN with IPs assigned from the S3500 to have no upstream connectivity past the S3500.

Tutorials I'm finding on DHCP through Aruba OS all seem to assume the switch will assign IPs on all the VLANs, not just some (or one).

Thanks!
(have a s2500, should be very similar).
As long as the router port is on the vlan you want to get dhcp from it, that part is no problem.
It is absolutely possible to have the switch assign addresses on a vlan, the only negative is that it isn't that easy to see what has the leases...
See here:
Airheads Community
vlan 79
interface vlan 79
ip address 192.168.79.1 255.255.255.0
!
ip dhcp pool VLAN_79
default-router 192.168.79.1
dns-server 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1
domain-name aruba.local
network 192.168.79.0 255.255.255.0

!
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.79.0 192.168.79.127
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.79.192 192.168.79.255
service dhcp
-------
I'm like 99% sure this is how I did it, I then turned off in favor of an opnsense dhcp server for the isolated vlans.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
As long as the router port is on the vlan you want to get dhcp from it, that part is no problem.
It is absolutely possible to have the switch assign addresses on a vlan, the only negative is that it isn't that easy to see what has the leases...
Thanks. I'd seen that post but it didn't click until I saw it along with your notes above. Makes more sense now.

This is a home setup, and the second VLAN is to push my tinkering off the primary home network. Thus, keeping the Netflix and gaming contingent in the family from complaining about a slow network! Since I'm going to be the only person on the second VLAN and only have 4 servers and a workstation to connect, it may be easiest to create the VLAN and simply assign them static IPs in a different range. All that equipment is in my home office, so it won't be hard to sort it out when I need to.

Thanks again.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Thanks. I'd seen that post but it didn't click until I saw it along with your notes above. Makes more sense now.

This is a home setup, and the second VLAN is to push my tinkering off the primary home network. Thus, keeping the Netflix and gaming contingent in the family from complaining about a slow network! Since I'm going to be the only person on the second VLAN and only have 4 servers and a workstation to connect, it may be easiest to create the VLAN and simply assign them static IPs in a different range. All that equipment is in my home office, so it won't be hard to sort it out when I need to.

Thanks again.
This may or may not be useful, as I struggled with it initially.
Originally I had router-normal switch, 192.168.15.x/24.
I then moved to the aruba, but left normal traffic on vlan 0.
I added 3 vlans, but until I told my router to route those subnets to the aruba the new vlans had no outward connection.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
This may or may not be useful, as I struggled with it initially.
Originally I had router-normal switch, 192.168.15.x/24.
I then moved to the aruba, but left normal traffic on vlan 0.
I added 3 vlans, but until I told my router to route those subnets to the aruba the new vlans had no outward connection.
That's exactly what I want to do. Sounds like with the Aruba, I just need to do less work and not more! Everything is still going to have a NIC and IP on the primary network for updates and the family to have access for streaming, backup and etc. But I want that second VLAN, with separate NICs and IPs, so everything behind the switch (all my gear) can churn away without impacting the family.

Its just that getting things done with the Aruba is a little out of the ordinary for me. I'd read that these switches weren't really meant for stand alone operation, and Aruba OS bears that out. Its still possible of course, but sometimes its not easy for me. On the other hand, it was $29 shipped, new in box, on eBay, and a 4x10G module was $14, so I can't complain!