Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Personally I do prefer this option although with the jumper to allow connection of the case power button to be used.

Thanks for posting the pictures with translation.

Thanks for the pics, nice to see the quality has improved over the first gen. That one dies look pretty nice.

One of my customers managed to find someone who was willing to sell the PCIe x8 risers without the case so I will be getting a couple to play with.

RB
No problems, and yes I agree it is an advantage to be able to press the power button then just walk away and save a minute or two. I am sure someone will come up with a clean and simple method to make that happen eventually.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
No problems, and yes I agree it is an advantage to be able to press the power button then just walk away and save a minute or two. I am sure someone will come up with a clean and simple method to make that happen eventually.
Someone did come up with a clean and simple way to do exactly that. They posted it here and even took the time to explain exactly how and why it works that way (the non-standard standby voltage used by the C6100 and a trivial and cheap way to work around it). Unfortunately, instead of acknowledging the value of that you made the choice to mock him and start a flame war. And before you get into your 'he started it' rant...note that you already admitted to editing your earlier posts to tone them down (well after the fact, BTW).

In any case - just curious. Does either solution preserve power control via IPMI? If this thing is actually going to be used as a server then this is a vital function. Far more important than the physical power switch.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Does either solution preserve power control via IPMI? If this thing is actually going to be used as a server then this is a vital function. Far more important than the physical power switch.
Wouldn't this be the purpose of the +12v standby line .... to provide power to BMC and Network ports for remote access ?

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Someone did come up with a clean and simple way to do exactly that. They posted it here and even took the time to explain exactly how and why it works that way (the non-standard standby voltage used by the C6100 and a trivial and cheap way to work around it). Unfortunately, instead of acknowledging the value of that you made the choice to mock him and start a flame war. And before you get into your 'he started it' rant...note that you already admitted to editing your earlier posts to tone them down (well after the fact, BTW).
I just explained why that wasn't simple enough, did you even read it?

Check the entire edit history, I made multiple edits before and after your post, none of them had anything to do with you.

About the flame wars, you mean like how you deliberately provoked a flame war just to protect Cisco? How about get off my back and start contributing instead of constantly trying to pick fights with members who doesn't share your views. I have great respect for all the mods here except for you, you've always been the weakest link with the biggest attitude. I am just here to help people, not to deal with BOFHs.

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
So when you say 'not simple enough' you really mean 'I don't like it so I will mock it'.

Fact is that s0lid's approach is only trivially more complex than yours. And it has a significant advantage in that it powers the BMC and - likely, needs to be tested - preserves remote power control via IPMI.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
So when you say 'not simple enough' you really mean 'I don't like it so I will mock it'.

Fact is that s0lid's approach is only trivially more complex than yours. And it has a significant advantage in that it powers the BMC and - likely, needs to be tested - preserves remote power control via IPMI.
I've already explained why it wasn't simple enough, I suggest you re-read my posts before you mock my replies.

Complex or not depends on who you ask, if you ask a modder then of course he'll say it is simple, but it's safe to say less than half the people who visit this site even have a multimeter, that means s0lid's hack is not really a 'simple $5 hack'.

At the end of the day it's not about what a modder thinks is simple or not, but about understanding the general audience, the people I was actually trying to help.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Well, unlike your 'solution' his actually works (as in preserves functionality of the BMC), which most people consider to be a plus...but if you are happy with a half-working hack then be happy.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Well, unlike your 'solution' his actually works (as in preserves functionality of the BMC), which most people consider to be a plus...but if you are happy with a half-working hack then be happy.
As explained previously, it is not my solution, people here have been using the 11-wires method for months.

The reason I posted the pictures and translated the text was a response to a fellow member who needed help to run his own c6100 without the full chassis. Anyone with old PSU wires and plastic connectors lying around can quickly have a go with the 11-wires method without ordering extra parts from another country, just move wires around a few plastic plugs and you can power up your c6100 node without the chassis.

It was never a modding competition and it was never my goal to impress other modders.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Curiously, however, you've chosen to dis, write-off and otherwise mock s0lids approach in at least 10 separate posts...not once acknowledging that it solves a problem that the wire-only approach leaves broken.

Perhaps you could offer a better solution that preserves functionality of the BMC?

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
Well i have a spare C6100 node (i decided to keep a spare in case any of my other 8 needed replacing) and would love more info on getting one of those cases. Rather than leaving it on the shelf as a spare as it were i can use it as a home server. Router and file server basically.

So any and all info appreciated on those cases. Especially the larger one that can take 2xPCi-e full height cards as i have a pair of Raid cards to consider.

Then i can retired this cursed i5 system i have that seems to die every second week even though its the newest of all the systems in my house....

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Curiously, however, you've chosen to dis, write-off and otherwise mock s0lids approach in at least 10 separate posts...not once acknowledging that it solves a problem that the wire-only approach leaves broken.

Perhaps you could offer a better solution that preserves functionality of the BMC?
By acknowledging, you mean like the very first line of my response to s0lid where I acknowledged his work and ability?

Good for you, I am sure you can emulate the entire node panel if you wanted to.
So we had a little exchange on the definition of 'better', which was really just a misunderstanding of context. These things happen, there is no need to be bitter about it. You seem to judge things a lot, but what have you contributed here?

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
A merry Christmas to all :D.

Just thinking on a single node water cooled (dual loop - dual pumps set with different colour liquid) as a project to help get to grips with my CNC and watercooling rather than jumping both feet first in to the rack watercooling project.

Playing with designs and just about to order some parts. All the info from Solid and the tempestuous Dragon on the power and front panel control will be very helpful.

RB

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
Cheers for speedy replies. That's the link.
The company seems quite reputable on eBay - 33000+ feedback and 99.9% positive.
Not sure whether they know its DCS bespoke build or just stuff that's come in for refurb. They have done a good job with the refurb though as its spotless inside - even the fans are clean.

There is nothing in the advert that is wrong... but nothing that says its a DCS Custom server either :mad:

The more I look at it, the more it is removed from standard. Have attached a couple more photos below. The fan arrangement is daft as offset so get practically three fans for one side servers and two fans for the other. It is very noisy... too noisy in my garage which is part of the house. The RAM layout seems daft as well. Photo below shows lid label with RAM info.

I will be stuck with current firmware levels and dont know what RAM is supported. To balance the CPUs would I have to put bigger sticks in? e.g. 6 x 4 and 3 x 8? for 48Gb total?
The seller has 3 other specs of the same C6100 on offer, all say -TY and not -TY3. One has 144GB RAM - I wonder what sticks it has!?
Changing the fans for 4 better ones going to be awkward as is getting to the lower two nodes :(

They have responded to my queries and asked me to call them after the hols when they are back in the office on the 27th Dec.

I really want a C6100 for a home lab and was hoping to play over Christmas... but now not so sure what to do :confused:

For what its worth, I also have a TY

Cheers for speedy replies. That's the link.
The company seems quite reputable on eBay - 33000+ feedback and 99.9% positive.
Not sure whether they know its DCS bespoke build or just stuff that's come in for refurb. They have done a good job with the refurb though as its spotless inside - even the fans are clean.

There is nothing in the advert that is wrong... but nothing that says its a DCS Custom server either :mad:

The more I look at it, the more it is removed from standard. Have attached a couple more photos below. The fan arrangement is daft as offset so get practically three fans for one side servers and two fans for the other. It is very noisy... too noisy in my garage which is part of the house. The RAM layout seems daft as well. Photo below shows lid label with RAM info.

I will be stuck with current firmware levels and dont know what RAM is supported. To balance the CPUs would I have to put bigger sticks in? e.g. 6 x 4 and 3 x 8? for 48Gb total?
The seller has 3 other specs of the same C6100 on offer, all say -TY and not -TY3. One has 144GB RAM - I wonder what sticks it has!?
Changing the fans for 4 better ones going to be awkward as is getting to the lower two nodes :(

They have responded to my queries and asked me to call them after the hols when they are back in the office on the 27th Dec.

I really want a C6100 for a home lab and was hoping to play over Christmas... but now not so sure what to do :confused:
For what its worth, I also have this model. Your the only other one I've seen on here to have the same. My guess it's is the model before the TY3. Let me know what you find out.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Does anyone know if the 2.5" drive model can use the same mobos as the 3.5"
I believe only the drive cage at the front is different. it is a removable part so if you can get a 2.5" one then you should be able to swap out the 3.5" one to turn a C6100 3.5" unit in to a 2.5" unit. Of course you will need to manage the drive connectivity with either a SAS mezzanine or PCIe controller and the correct cable sets allowing 6 drives to be routed to each node.

Bottom line is that the 2.5" model should be able to use the 3.5" motherboards (like for like versions of course as there are a few special custom models out there).

RB

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
I believe only the drive cage at the front is different. it is a removable part so if you can get a 2.5" one then you should be able to swap out the 3.5" one to turn a C6100 3.5" unit in to a 2.5" unit. Of course you will need to manage the drive connectivity with either a SAS mezzanine or PCIe controller and the correct cable sets allowing 6 drives to be routed to each node.

Bottom line is that the 2.5" model should be able to use the 3.5" motherboards (like for like versions of course as there are a few special custom models out there).

RB
I own one of each and you can easily swap the nodes between the two. I in fact have. My 3.5" is a Dell version and the 2.5" is a DCS model and it still works. My nodes are randomly mixed as i grabbed ones not in use to swap out CPUs etc and then hot plugged them. The physical section that holds the drives and the backplane are different. The rest is identical.

Edit: I forgot to note that my research suggested the backplane and drive section of a 2.5" version was rather expensive to put it mildly. It was much cheaper to buy a 2.5" version rather than go the conversion path after buying a 3.5" one. Of course if you already had a 3.5" model and really really needed the 2.5" bays then it may be worth it.

Last edited:

brianmat

Dec 11, 2013
It seems that I am seeing a lot of datacenter builds on eBay right now. I am really looking for a bare bones C6100 that has cutouts for the mezzanine cards. Is there an non-Ebay seller which is reasonable for these? I found a seller with good prices on the bare modules, so if I could just get a good price on a chassis then that would really get me going in the right direction. Am I just a bit too late to this party?

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
To a certain extent yes brianmat. Prices have started to rise as people have discovered C6100's and the supply has probably dropped too.

I cant see buying modules and chassis separately being cheaper than just buying a whole system though.

Cheapest i found on ebay currently is this at $1500!!!!!! Wow. One of mine was $800 (standard nothing special 3.5" model) and the other was $1,200 (but was a 2.5" model with 2 PSU's). So yeah prices are way up.

Dell Poweredge C6100 XS23 TY3 4 X Nodes 8 X 2 8GHz X5560 96GB 4 X 250GB Rails | eBay