Licenseageddon Rages as VMware Overhauls Per-Socket Licensing

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
VMware tried to change license to per VM and it was very bad.
I think 32 core per socket license is reasonable but it will indeed change buying derision to favor 32 and 64 core.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I don't pretend to know anything about running businesses or servers, but couldn't the article simply say "VMWare wants to milk people/companies for even more money"?
There doesn't seem to be any other reason to do this, and in my amateur thinking they didn't even have to, because they have almost full monopoly in this field, so it's not like they are or would lose any money sticking with the previous licensing.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I don't pretend to know anything about running businesses or servers, but couldn't the article simply say "VMWare wants to milk people/companies for even more money"?
There doesn't seem to be any other reason to do this, and in my amateur thinking they didn't even have to, because they have almost full monopoly in this field, so it's not like they are or would lose any money sticking with the previous licensing.
No its that they want to ensure companies that switch to AMD pay up, alot of companies were looking at a single 64c/128t epyc chip and instead of two lesser chips so they only had to pay for 1 proc license.
Microsoft got their stuff figured out a couple of years ago by doing a per core cost rather than processor, VMware is finally starting to catch up.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Microsoft got their stuff figured out a couple of years ago by doing a per core cost rather than processor, VMware is finally starting to catch up.
Just wish they would update their base core counts included 8c per DC license is a joke these days, it should be updated with each new WS release.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
Will be interesting for those running 48 core Epyc chips. Will that be 3x (32 + 32 + 32) or 4x (32 + 16 + 32 + 16) licenses?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Just wish they would update their base core counts included 8c per DC license is a joke these days, it should be updated with each new WS release.
We're 99% a linux shop luckily so we only need 2 licenses for our hosts~ and they cover 2 vms each.
Our office has a domain controller and the WSUS server, our datacenter has a domain controller and our EMS server for our antivirus.

Will be interesting for those running 48 core Epyc chips. Will that be 3x (32 + 32 + 32) or 4x (32 + 16 + 32 + 16) licenses?
48c = 2 licenses ~ if you have 2 of the 48c chips its 4 processor licenses (after April 20th).

I asked our SHI rep that handles VMware he noted theres no CPU above 64c is validated yet, so for now below 32c licenses normally, 32c or above = 2 processor licenses, TBD on whether there is a higher cost beyond that.