Opinions /experiences onAdaptec 8885.DAS box built ahead.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rom4nz0 Crim1nal3

Nov 26, 2019
Hello,

I'm looking to build a DAS box and i found a 8885 in a decent price.
Based on the guide found at https://www.servethehome.com/external-sassata-disk-chassis-wiring-part-1/ the built scenario is to connect the external ports of the card to the DAS box with no expander used and then connect the internal ports on the server"s internal drives.
I'm worried though about the performance since i will be running a raid 5 on both disk sets.
Has anyone used this raid card in a similar configuration?
All thoughts and opinions much appreciated.

Thnx

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I guess it would depend on the OS you will be using. I have a windows server running adaptec 81605zq with raid 6 of 16x 4TB drives and raid 1 of 2 x 1.6TB ssd for maxcache. The server been running this setup for the last few years and its been performing well for what its for (file server, Plex, and backup).

If you are thinking of using adaptec for freenas then I would reconsider, most people say adaptec does not play well with BSD (no driver offered) and LSI is known to be the default choice for Freenas.

Rom4nz0 Crim1nal3

Nov 26, 2019
Yes you're right on that.I'm planning on using windows server my self with similar roles installed which will be a vm on a esxi.
Actually it's been a while since i've used Adaptec (Areca user here) So i'm not quite sure on how it will perform/react.
Unfortunately it's the non q model so no ssd cache.

Last edited: