Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
@Dino

Looking at the Specs i dont believe 48GB is possible on a single Node at all. It suggests 36GB Max. So 6x4GB sticks

Looking at its DIMM population configurations your probably better off with 24GB per node max. Its a crazy idea having only half the RAM slots on the second CPU

RAM is Tri-Channel
CPU0 has 6 RAM slots
CPU1 has 3 RAM slots

Looks like it came with 2GB sticks. So you can play around a bit trying different configurations up to 12GB per CPU or 18GB total and see what difference it makes populating the last 3.

The configuration on your current nodes of 2 sticks per CPU does not match the Dell recommendation either. Everything is probably running in single channel mode as currently setup.

I have 2 different C6100 myself now (and a spare node).

My first purchase was a 12x3.5" chassis with L5520's. It was a bog standard C6100 not a DCS and had been refurbished by Dell (and had the stickers to prove it) and the quality of the refurbishment was amazing. Looked brand new. My only gripe it has the older model fan controller and isnt as quiet as one would like. But it still works well. I have upgraded it a fair bit.

My latest addition is a 24x2.5" chassis with E5540's. Its a DCS (i found out after purchase) but built to the same spec as a standard C6100 and even happily took the same BIOS (thankfully). It was refurbished but not by Dell. The BIOS and BMC was horribly outdated. It definitely showed it had been used. It was clean but not detail clean if you understand my meaning. After much stuffing around i got everything working.

I have since brought all my nodes up to the latest BIOS and BMC as of a couple of weeks ago when some of the nodes got L5639's. I would hesitate to try the same with any DCS node your not willing to brick. Permanently.

One option i could see is that if the connections for power supply etc are standard maybe you could buy some spare barebones nodes from the USA (they are reasonably cheap but shipping hurts) for any node you want to run more RAM etc on and swap out the motherboards.

Heres a replacement motherboard from the USA. Check its for the tys and not the older 5400 series CPU's. Maybe someone can confirm? It appears to be the same i brought but mine were for $85 US each and were trays pulled from a server with heatsinks etc rather than new refurbs

NEW Genuine Dell Poweredge C6100 XS23 Node Motherboard Full Assembly D61XP | eBay

Swap your current CPU's, heatsinks etc over and you get 12 RAM slots and support for newer CPUs and 16GB RAM per stick rather than 36GB a Node.
Depends on what you plan to do with it if you can get away with the lesser setup.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Man i want one of these so bad. I need to set up a hyper-v/exsi cluster for learning, but don't want or need the TY23 cloud servers, nor do i need a full c6100(noise/space/heat)

Two of those up there would fit in my TV Stand, and could be cooled with 120mm fans. Anyone know if these can be gotten in the US?
Hi, it'd probably be much more economical for you to buy a C6100 node from a US seller on ebay, and then buy/create your own power cable using wires from old PSU's.

The key to the whole thing is really just 11 wires that connect a standard PSU to the C6100 motherboard. You can buy the cables for a few bucks on Taobao here, or create your own cables base on the instruction on that page:

You need 3 sets of cables to use standard PSU on a C6100 node:
fan cables (left), standard PSU to C6100 power converter cables (center), PSU startup cable (right)

The power required for the C6100 can be supplied by 11 wires from a standard PSU to the motherboard, where 5 wires are from the 24 pins plug, and the other 6 wires are from the 8 pins (or 4+4) plug. Connect them as follow (with translation):

Top text: 4 yellow & 1 black wires on 8 pins plug, connect to 24 pins power source
Left text: connect green wire, to any black wire
Right text: The only plug that connects to the motherboard, 12 pins black plug, connect to 12 pins black socket on the motherboard
Bottom text: 4 black & 2 yellow wires, connect to the 8 pins plug from the PSU, if your PSU only have 4 pins plug, it may still work, depends on your luck.

Zoom in of the PSU startup cable: connect the green wire to any black wire on the standard 24 (or 20+4) pins PSU plug)

Fan cables:

Last edited:

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
PSU to motherboard cable:

Translation:
Note: Use the 4P+4P from standard PSU, the 6P+2p is for graphics card only and doesn't have enough power.

Last edited:

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Same cable from another seller, this one doesn't even bother selling the fan cable (uses the fan plugs on the motherboard instead).

The pictures on this one is less clear, but I'll post them anyway:

Dino

Dec 23, 2013
England
@Dino

Looking at the Specs i dont believe 48GB is possible on a single Node at all. It suggests 36GB Max. So 6x4GB sticks

Looking at its DIMM population configurations your probably better off with 24GB per node max. Its a crazy idea having only half the RAM slots on the second CPU

RAM is Tri-Channel
CPU0 has 6 RAM slots
CPU1 has 3 RAM slots

Looks like it came with 2GB sticks. So you can play around a bit trying different configurations up to 12GB per CPU or 18GB total and see what difference it makes populating the last 3.

The configuration on your current nodes of 2 sticks per CPU does not match the Dell recommendation either. Everything is probably running in single channel mode as currently setup.

I have 2 different C6100 myself now (and a spare node).

My first purchase was a 12x3.5" chassis with L5520's. It was a bog standard C6100 not a DCS and had been refurbished by Dell (and had the stickers to prove it) and the quality of the refurbishment was amazing. Looked brand new. My only gripe it has the older model fan controller and isnt as quiet as one would like. But it still works well. I have upgraded it a fair bit.

My latest addition is a 24x2.5" chassis with E5540's. Its a DCS (i found out after purchase) but built to the same spec as a standard C6100 and even happily took the same BIOS (thankfully). It was refurbished but not by Dell. The BIOS and BMC was horribly outdated. It definitely showed it had been used. It was clean but not detail clean if you understand my meaning. After much stuffing around i got everything working.

I have since brought all my nodes up to the latest BIOS and BMC as of a couple of weeks ago when some of the nodes got L5639's. I would hesitate to try the same with any DCS node your not willing to brick. Permanently.

One option i could see is that if the connections for power supply etc are standard maybe you could buy some spare barebones nodes from the USA (they are reasonably cheap but shipping hurts) for any node you want to run more RAM etc on and swap out the motherboards.

Heres a replacement motherboard from the USA. Check its for the tys and not the older 5400 series CPU's. Maybe someone can confirm? It appears to be the same i brought but mine were for $85 US each and were trays pulled from a server with heatsinks etc rather than new refurbs

NEW Genuine Dell Poweredge C6100 XS23 Node Motherboard Full Assembly D61XP | eBay

Swap your current CPU's, heatsinks etc over and you get 12 RAM slots and support for newer CPUs and 16GB RAM per stick rather than 36GB a Node.
Depends on what you plan to do with it if you can get away with the lesser setup.

Thanks again for feedback :)
I have been scouring UK eBay and other sites for servers but there doesn't seem to be anything comparable for the price. Trying to get 3 or 4 equivalent G6's way more expensive, even for some lesser then DL360 e.g. DL160. If I lived in the USA things would be different!
It is for a home lab, so wont be stressing it particularly, 24Gb RAM would probably be enough for me as it happens, but will have to have think about the RAM layout if want to go higher.
The noise is an issue though, and replacing the fan arrangement with something quieter would have to be first job if I decide to keep it. Not having any Dell manuals or being able to update any f/w is a bind. I could probably live without the hotplug as once set up doubt will be changing very often.
Will let you know feedback from supplier when call them at end of the week.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Dragon there's better way hooking a ATX psu into C6100 node, but you need DC-DC booster and handful of connectors :D
Good for you, I am sure you can emulate the entire node panel if you wanted to.

But in the world I live in, simpler is better, anyone can be complex, simplicity is difficult, you can't get much simpler/cheaper than connecting 11 wires.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Good for you, I am sure you can emulate the entire node panel if you wanted to.

But in the world I live in, simpler is better, anyone can be complex, simplicity is difficult, you can't get much simpler/cheaper than connecting 11 wires.
Well my way costs maybe 5USD more and the psu works normally ie it's not powered 24/7.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Well my way costs maybe 5USD more and the psu works normally ie it's not powered 24/7.
Good hacking job, trying different things certainly helped a lot with the learning process, I used to share such enthusiasm, until I entered the real world where the machine you use is just a small piece of the puzzle and overall efficiency is a high priority, so I tend to choose components that consume the least time and resources to put together, cheap and easily replaceable, and can operate with the least possible point of failure.

Last edited:

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Welcome to year 1995 when intel thought shutting computer off from PSU's power button was getting stupid and hence developed standard called ATX.

Lets see DC-DC step-up circuits is maybe 8-10 parts at max. And no I do not use any "extra" buttons, just the circuitry motherboard itself provides. Just boosting the 5Vstandby coming from standard ATX psu to 12Vstandby that c6100 motherboard accepts. Hence I can use the ps_on signal from c6100's frontpanel connector that c6100 motherboard provides like standard ATX motherboard does to standard ATX PSU. Hence the system works like standard ATX computer with just single extra part. And there's even power button pins at frontpanel connector of the c6100 motherboard if you don't like to use one at the rear.

It's kind of wrong to assume that everybody uses C6100 motherboards as 24/7 servers when they're outside c6100 chassis.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Welcome to year 1995 when intel thought shutting computer off from PSU's power button was getting stupid and hence developed standard called ATX.

Lets see DC-DC step-up circuits is maybe 8-10 parts at max. And no I do not use any "extra" buttons, just the circuitry motherboard itself provides. Just boosting the 5Vstandby coming from standard ATX psu to 12Vstandby that c6100 motherboard accepts. Hence I can use the ps_on signal from c6100's frontpanel connector that c6100 motherboard provides like standard ATX motherboard does to standard ATX PSU. Hence the system works like standard ATX computer with just single extra part. And there's even power button pins at frontpanel connector of the c6100 motherboard if you don't like to use one at the rear.

It's kind of wrong to assume that everybody uses C6100 motherboards as 24/7 servers when they're outside c6100 chassis.
1. The power button is still a common feature on modern PSU today.

2. Shutting down the OS and then turn off the PSU is not a sin, in fact many people actually turn off the power at the wall/rack socket after a shut down, because motherboards still consume power even when it is turned off. Remember, people buy c6100 nodes because they are cheap.

3. Only server operators and modding enthusiast will bother modding a c6100, these people don't turn off their servers that often, and they are experienced enough to know where the power button is when they do.

4. Ordering some specialized parts from a 3rd party oversea, parts that can fail at any time and may take days/weeks to replace, parts that are unlikely to be reused on other setups -- just for a function that already exists, is not a wise move. You'll understand why once you've managed 50/100/200+ servers at the same time, watched things fail with no warning, and have ran out of space to store/transport spare parts. You can argue you're only modding one server, not 100, but until you can pull it off without an extra pcb, better/worse doesn't really apply here, I was aiming for practical, you were aiming for a creative.

5. Your method seems dangerous, and I quote, straight from your instruction: "you need multimeter for this as you need to check the Vout output so you don't burn your motherboard as the Vout ranges up to 35V! Vout is set with the variable resistor."

Last edited:

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
1. It's there to kill the power. Oooooh what an feature, but it's also practical cuts power from the standby lines that are powered long as the psu get power without you having to pull the cord.

2. Yeah and? You've got your point, I got mine.

3. Yes, my way is exactly for those people.

4. Who on earth would use 50/100/200+ jury rigged servers in production enviroment, your way isn't any less hackish than mine. Dc-dc stepup circuit is simple as it can get, 1x LM2577, 3 capacitors, 1 inductor, 1 zener and 1 resistor. You can find those parts in every possible radioshack out there.

5. Most of the dc-dc boosters out there are with variable output that's why you need to check it. That is something called common sense. You can make one that does flat 5v->12v boost fairly easily.

The thing is that I don't get is why do you take this as some sort of offense? Why make such a threnody from thing meaningless as this?
I mean c'mon, your way works I know that. My way works too, but is compliant with ATX standard. I just happened to say there's another way to do it and somehow this started sound like some sort of console fanboyism.

Besides your earlier posts aren't "positive" as you say they're.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
s0lid & Dragon,

Thanks both of you for posting useful information about how to mod and use the C6100 sleds outside of their native chassis. This is exactly the kind of thing this forum is intended for.

Unfortunately, it's not really helpful to couch the conversation in a personal pissing contest. Face it boys - both methods are good and both face different trade offs. It would be helpful to have a mature discussion about those things. A few less insults and a lot less 'my way is the only way' attitude might be appreciated.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
s0lid & Dragon,

Thanks both of you for posting useful information about how to mod and use the C6100 sleds outside of their native chassis. This is exactly the kind of thing this forum is intended for.

Unfortunately, it's not really helpful to couch the conversation in a personal pissing contest. Face it boys - both methods are good and both face different trade offs. It would be helpful to have a mature discussion about those things. A few less insults and a lot less 'my way is the only way' attitude might be appreciated.
I actually edited my post before reading this. Because although s0lid used words such as 'my way' and 'better' without a context, ultimately I believe he was just being enthusiastic about sharing his experiment.

But what's with the language? Is that how you define 'mature discussion'?

Last edited:

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
I read it like that too. Dragon/ s0lid here's an idea:

You both did something cool. Some people may prefer one way. Some may prefer the other. Some people like Coke some like Pepsi. Same basic idea on soda pop, different executions and it is better to say there are two options rather than Pepsi is better than Coke (or vice versa).

shanghailoz

May 10, 2013
You can also wire a switch up to the psu on / off, instead of using a jumper. Guess how some of mine are wired?
Or just get a psu with power off/on switch.

The tabao sellers also have wiring setup with buttons if you ask. So you _can_ turn it on/ off as needed using standard atx cables+front panel.

Busy getting 2 hackintoshes ready today.

C6100 works well on Mavericks.
Disable the onboard ethernet and video in bios, stick a video card in. Install OS.
Stick an 802.11ac wifi card on the second pci slot, and you're good to go.

I usually stick L5639's in, and up the ram to 64G. Decent little render boxes for the price, even if its old equipment.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
1. It's there to kill the power. Oooooh what an feature, but it's also practical cuts power from the standby lines that are powered long as the psu get power without you having to pull the cord.

2. Yeah and? You've got your point, I got mine.

3. Yes, my way is exactly for those people.

4. Who on earth would use 50/100/200+ jury rigged servers in production enviroment, your way isn't any less hackish than mine. Dc-dc stepup circuit is simple as it can get, 1x LM2577, 3 capacitors, 1 inductor, 1 zener and 1 resistor. You can find those parts in every possible radioshack out there.

5. Most of the dc-dc boosters out there are with variable output that's why you need to check it. That is something called common sense. You can make one that does flat 5v->12v boost fairly easily.

The thing is that I don't get is why do you take this as some sort of offense? Why make such a threnody from thing meaningless as this?
I mean c'mon, your way works I know that. My way works too, but is compliant with ATX standard. I just happened to say there's another way to do it and somehow this started sound like some sort of console fanboyism.

STH has positioned itself over the years as a news source and community for practical server operators who are more focused on power and cost savings, and less focused on 'clever' hacks such as water cooling and neon lights.

This is evident by the most recent news on STH: A $30 WD 8 port switch that costs only $3.75 per port, idles at 0.8w and max out on 4.8w. Another word saving a few watts and a few bucks here and there is front page worthy for STH. There are millions of products out there that does the same thing, everyone claims they're the best and people are just tired of being screwed over. That is why people came to STH for answers, that's what people come here to look for, that's why I am here.

Connecting standard PSUs to the c6100 is not 'my hack', it has been done for months over here in China, connecting 11 wires is how everyone does it over here. The reason I went out of my way to gather the pictures, does the translations and post it here, is not because I had something to prove, but to help out a fellow server operator, Mr. AERuffy who wanted to get his own setup running.

If you actually bothered to read the first paragraph of my response to Mr. AERuffy, you'd notice the keyword "more economical", yes, that's me sticking to the overall theme of STH, being practical and economical has always been the context.

So when you jumped in and declared you had a 'better' way without applying a different context, with a 'hack' that required extra parts and a voltage multimeter that simply isn't more economical not to mention impractical for most people (who wanted a c6100 because it is much more economical compare to other setups that provide the same functions, not because they are good at modding), it was an action equivalent to going to places like silentpc and declare a quieter mod that uses a much louder fan. Or say, going to a vegan community and declare you have a 'better' diet recipe that uses grounded beef and chicken wings because they are 'tastier' than lettuce. So I politely explained to you why simpler is better, and when you refused to listen, I laid out the hard facts.

The people who run Taobao shops are some of the best modders you'll ever see, because they don't mod to be clever, they mod to survive. So if the shops that sells c6100 nodes, c6100 PSU cables and custom c6100 cases don't bother selling an extra on/off switch, that means people don't really need it. Believe me, when people need something on Taobao, they'll sell it. Remember, Taobao isn't a peaceful place like ebay, Taobao is a highly competitive, cut throat make or break environment that generated a record breaking US$5.75 billion sales in a 24-hour period last month.

Despite you ignoring what people were actually trying to do, I did politely praise you for creating an enthusiastic mod, and I would agree with you that yours is a 'better' hack if the STH front page is filled with news of gold plated audio cables, complex water cooling mods, 'cool' neon chassis lights, and new ways of overclocking 4 graphic cards without frying the motherboard so you can get better benchmarks scores.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi, it'd probably be much more economical for you to buy a C6100 node from a US seller on ebay, and then buy/create your own power cable using wires from old PSU's.

The key to the whole thing is really just 11 wires that connect a standard PSU to the C6100 motherboard. You can buy the cables for a few bucks on Taobao here, or create your own cables base on the instruction on that page:
Personally I do prefer this option although with the jumper to allow connection of the case power button to be used.

Thanks for posting the pictures with translation.

Again, I'm quite impressed with build quality, they're not cheap, but they're done well.
Thanks for the pics, nice to see the quality has improved over the first gen. That one dies look pretty nice.

One of my customers managed to find someone who was willing to sell the PCIe x8 risers without the case so I will be getting a couple to play with.

RB