New to me HP P420 no boot tyan s7012

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

elahriawastaken

Jan 24, 2020
I just picked up a p420 to replace my p410 so i can get better iops performance for vms. Problem is I popped it in my tyan s7012 and it gets past the initialization and gets stuck.
Things I have tried.
Firmware update on another machine.
Bios is up to date.
Clear NVRAM on bios.

I appreciate any help.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Are you attempting UEFI or BIOS/legacy boot of the controller? Try switching?

What other expansion/PCIe cards do you have?

Does it get further if you disconnect all attached drives?

elahriawastaken

Jan 24, 2020
I have a P410 installed that runs fine in the machine along with a rx 370 and i have not tried changing boot types. I do not have a UEFI bios i will look into a legacy option. it does not get further if i remove all drives.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I'd test the card on another system and confirms it works properly.

If it does, I'd remove all the other cards from the s7012, and see if it boots further with just this new card.

elahriawastaken

Jan 24, 2020
I can confirm it does work in another machine the differences are that this is a consumer board with no ILO features ect. I believe the p420 is trying to run it's ORCA feature and is hanging up due to some communication problem with the BMC. I am not sure if i can disable this feature or not.

elahriawastaken

Jan 24, 2020
I pulled the cache module and system boots fine sees the p420 but it's disabled due to no cache so not much further.