Need recommendation for SFP+ 24 port switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
dont buy HP, especially that old, the software is garbage. The brocades are good (little biased here), but if the 16 ports of SFP+ on the 6610 isn't enough, the aristas are a good choice and the software is good too, very flexible. With either, you can use $4 RJ45 copper SFP modules to turn any of the SFP+ ports into wired 1gbE copper for your wifi router etc

Reactions: Samir

webuser1200

Oct 6, 2013
Oh, did not know I could get RJ45 SFP modules!

What SFP+ transceivers do you recommend that will work with the Arista switch and the HP 560SFP+ cards?

webuser1200

Oct 6, 2013
The Arista looks nice. Full linux tools. Redundant power supply and redundant fans. Also almost half power requirement of the HP. Will get it.

What do I need to unlock? Is that done via the command line via linux?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
First of all a couple of general comments:

If you have 16 servers and it is an important production environment, you might want to consider a 32+ port switch and do LACP bonding with two ports for each server so you get redundancy on the cable side.

If by "old connectors" you mean gigabit via RJ45 connectors, you are probably better off with them being on a separate switch, that switch connected via a pair of SFP+s to the "big" SFP+ switch. If you only have need for a few 1G RJ45's you can use SFP to RJ45 transceivers, but it doesn't take many to not be worthwhile anymore.

Another thing you may want to consider is whether you have a need to route traffic between different VLANs/subnets, you should think about what kind of performance you need. It matters as to whether you should get a Layer 2 or 3 switch. You need a fairly beefy firewall/router if you want to route more than multi gigabit traffic (lots of caveats here, it's just to give you an indication).

With regards to options, you may also want to consider a Mikrotik CRS326-24S+2Q+RM switch, it is only a Layer 2 switch, so any routing will need to be done by your firewall/router, but it is hard to beat the price.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
#1 is actually not far off with what I did with my 317's, each server has a dual port nic connected to one 317 and the ports are teamed in windows so if I lose a switch or cable life goes on(there's also 4 hyper-v servers and 2 storage nodes as well as A/B power we could loose a LOT of hardware and keep limping along)