Cisco 48G POE+ and 2SFP+ LAN Base Switches

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smallsam

Jan 20, 2020
This ebay link is not me selling, but I've been watching pricing on ebay for C6800IA switches recently as I have a number to sell in Brisbane, AU. Whilst these switches are normally useless without the upstream 6800 switch, when trying to make use of them myself I found you can load the 2960x IOS on them. This makes the C6800IA-48FPD equivalent to a WS-C2960X-FPD-L which sell for a good 3-5x the price on Ebay.

Cisco C6800IA-48FPD Catalyst 6800 Instant Access 48 Port 1G POE+ Switch QTY | eBay

Once done you get a L2 Lan Base Cisco switch with 48G POE+ ports and 2 SFP+ ports, stackable for $300USD.

It's a little tricky to do the firmware flash (I used c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-7.E1.bin), as you need to interrupt the boot process and do the TFTP load, then be very patient (it looks like it's crashed for a long while). However this reddit post is where I learnt about the process: Catalyst 6800ia Firmware/ios switch : networking

As the hardware is effectively the equivalent 2960X switch, all their specs apply, notable for me was that once booted (no ports lit) one of these switches idled just under 50W.