ADOP 10GMS-30M-T 10Gbase-T Adapter Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
We test the ADOP 10GMS-30M-T module billed as compatible with the Cisco SFP-10G-T-S in our review.
These reviews keep saying "...Cisco SFP-10G-T-S...", yet there appears to be no such Cisco part. Go to Google and paste "site:cisco.com SFP-10G-T-S" into the search box, or go to search.cisco.com and type in "SFP-10G-T-S" and you will see that the only mentions made of this are for 3rd-party "compatible" modules. Compatible with what, exactly, if there is no official Cisco module?

These need to be tested in Cisco routers / switches that have SFP+ support (and multiple devices, because there are many different families of Cisco hardware which do not share a code base, even if they are all claiming to run Cisco IOS). As a minimum, you would need to show output of:

"show interface ..."
"show idprom interface ..."
"show interface ... transceiver detail"

And if the module actually works, whether or not it allows setting the speed (and duplex, for speeds where duplex is normally configurable) and whether it successfully passes traffic. Also, whether the interface correctly reports speed in the case where the module is autonegotiating to match the speed / duplex set on the other end.

If you want to send a module or two to me, I'd gladly test in the ASR1001-X router, Catalyst 4500M switch and Catalyst 4948E switch.

Until this sort of testing is done, Cisco compatibility is just hearsay and you're doing your readers a disservice by just repeating what the module vendors are claiming without verifying it.

I do agree with your reviewer(s) that there are likely only a few actual manufacturers of these modules (likely with several different hardware revisions each) and that most of the parts you're seeing are just rebrandings. Given the low cost of these, I'd suggest a disassembly of each to get a close look at the circuit board and the particular converter chip / revision being used.

Reactions: Patrick