I am looking for a iscsi to sata solution.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AndreStarTrek

Sep 15, 2015
For years i been thinking and searching for a solution that brings a iscsi to a sata connection.

Why:
I hate to use single disk like connecting a external disk to something like a xbox or Wii U. Wen it dies you lose everything and i hate that. Also buying small disks are expensive and upgrading is wasteful. Also i am running a 11 disk freenas server and i like to run al my data from there.

So my question is does this exist?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So if I understand you correctly you want something that plugs into a SATA port and translates that into an iSCSI request?

I dont think that exists in this format...

Usually that can be done by the NIC in your box - might be difficult with an XBox though.
You could convert sata to esata and then either attach a box like a synology to that presenting more than one local disc or let that do iscsi to esata converting (maybe)

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
For years i been thinking and searching for a solution that brings a iscsi to a sata connection.

Why:
I hate to use single disk like connecting a external disk to something like a xbox or Wii U. Wen it dies you lose everything and i hate that. Also buying small disks are expensive and upgrading is wasteful. Also i am running a 11 disk freenas server and i like to run al my data from there.

So my question is does this exist?
Yes. Except with a device like that, you'll
a) have to poke a hole out of the game console to allow a network cable or fiber + optics to come out to attach to the NAS
b) be mindful that someone isn't going to accidentally trip on the cable and send your console to the floor (or disconnect the disk, at the very least locking up the game you are playing, or at its worst, corrupt the iSCSI extent
c) have to make it able to initiate iSCSI, drive a Gigabit (or above) connection, translate the results to SATA, be powerful enough to do this and remain passively cool inside the real estate of a 2.5" SATA drive, and somehow, this has to be cheaper than a run-of-the-mill 100 USD 1 TB SSD drive.