Advice on selling a large list of items

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I plan on sell a fairly large list of items. Is there anything I should do to validate my account/sale? My account is only a couple months old; I have not sold any items but I have bought and traded a good bit.

Reactions: Samir and mjygvfesz

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
AFAIK there aren't any systems in place on this particular forum, but if you need some feedback, you could create a heatware account and ask some of the sellers/traders to post some feedback for ya. That might be the simplest route. Alternatively, if you have a reddit account with verified trades on any of the subreddits, you could link to that. You -could- link to an ebay or amazon marketplace feedback list, but obviously those transactions are 'enforced'.

It may also help if you post time stamps with your items, at least that way buyers that aren't familiar with you can at least feel somewhat confident you have what you claim to.

Reactions: SRussell and Samir

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
As a new seller here I think a couple of things you can do are:
  • Stick to payment options with strong buyer protection such as PayPal goods and services
  • Be patient with buyers and willing to answer questions or do what is needed to make them feel the transaction is safe. Everyone has their own list of preferences here. I've been asked for and provided timestamped pictures, references and even had a couple of phone conversations with prospective buyers over the years.
Timestamps and heatware are a good way to increase confidence, but neither provides a guarantee against fraud so when buying from newish members I always make sure we're using PayPal goods and services.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Some really great suggestions in the thread and just your post itself inspires confidence because it shows you have integrity. :) Post what you've got to sell using the tips here and I think you'll do fine. :) Welcome to STH!

Reactions: SRussell

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Unless, of course, he is Joshua Prout. :eek:
Joshua wouldn't waste a good account to ask for what he would need to do to validate as that would put a certain thought in a persons mind prior to him being able to pursuade them into believing 'is all good, nothing to see here'. OR MAYBE thats what he wants you to believe.

Kidding aside, picture of the item + note with name and date would generally be sufficient but if the deal is big enough direct contact, video call with the seller is a + and should generally be of no issue to any normal personal seller. If you can show the goods to your buyer then you are doing something most scammers can not do, unlike faking feedback / accounts. Wouldn't work on joshua since he steals hardware but should still be helpful.

Reactions: Samir and SRussell

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I've bought from a few people on here without giving it much of a thought, and had a good experience each time. I'd never noticed anything about Joshua Prout until a few weeks ago when people started asking about Dbuffed. Now I'm getting paranoid!

@SRussell , my advice is to send your list to me first, so I can grab up anything that looks good before everyone else gets a chance :p

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
@SRussell , my advice is to send your list to me first, so I can grab up anything that looks good before everyone else gets a chance :p
If you send it to me, I promise, anything I buy I would give you 1.5% on top of what you are asking as a "thanks for being first on your mind" gift! :p

Reactions: Samir and SRussell

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I've bought from a few people on here without giving it much of a thought, and had a good experience each time. I'd never noticed anything about Joshua Prout until a few weeks ago when people started asking about Dbuffed. Now I'm getting paranoid!
Do some googling...its an interesting read. He has scammed people far and wide, across many different forums and platforms. He seems to be smart enough to get away with it most of the time.

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
A few things that helped me get started on here:

1) Keep one thread, start small and ask buyers to post their experiences/satisfaction but don't pressure them- roughly 1 in 10 will post and that's more than okay
2) Contribute to the community by supporting your buyers via technical support. We're all into this niche together and it really isn't that big of a community. It's the same people over and over. Technical support goes a long way- it's your product so you probably know it best.
3) Be fast with PMs. I have it set so that PMs show up on my phone. Most of us are super busy IT professionals with a homelab for fun- fast replies help keep our hobby from becoming a hassle.
4) If there's an issue with your item just take it back no questions asked. I always ask myself "How would I feel if I got something that didn't work or wasn't what I expected?" Good will goes a long way for your conscious and theirs. People often return to the same sellers when they they're respected and valued.

Last edited: