Ethernet WiFi bridge - looking for tips

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Hello,

I thought I would post here and ask this as I am more active here vs. smallnetbuilder, openwrt, ddwrt, etc. If someone has another good site I would welcome suggestions.

The TLDR version is does anyone have a link to a good set of instructions for OpenWrt for creating a good transparent Ethernet WiFi bridge that they have had success with?

I want to setup a simple bridge so that an Ethernet-only device can be put on a WiFi network in a plug & play fashion, such as a UPS, printer, or something that has WiFi and Ethernet, but the WiFi is broken, etc.

I tried some of the off-the-shelf solutions, and I was very disappointed. I don't like the one's that plug directly into an outlet, some of them get extremely hot, are very large, and I actually don't see too many of them, so I am actually using a WiFi extender than also has an Ethernet port to get this done.

So, I bought one of these: GL-MT300N-V2 / Mango - GL.iNet
These are really nice, quite small, USB powered, run very cool, and actually quite versatile in it's use cases. It is also the fastest, I was getting around 50Mbits/s up and down even in the crowded 11n bands in my area.
It runs OpenWRT (says it doesn't have firmware for DD-WRT), it ships with OpenWRT + their own gui that is optional, so I started with that out of the box to start.

I followed the instruction here: OpenWrt Project: Dumb AP / Access Point Only
Which seems very short and straight forward. Technically this is for creating a bridged AP, but these are very similar use cases. I want a bi-directional bridge, not NAT or routing or anything. My network is Gigabit FiOS with a pFsense router, and Ubiquiti access points.

So, the short version is it works, but only with static IP and some other issues. As in, a device connected to the bridge Ethernet port will work but not with DHCP, only if it has static IP config. This is usable, but not ideal. I can see and reach the device from other devices elsewhere on the wired or wireless network, so at least a partial success. I use things like angry IP scanner with my laptop connected through the device to test. The laptop needs to be statically configured because as I said it won't get it through the bridge.

The other issue is that I completely lose access to the device for configuration after this setup is enabled. I can also live with this, but if I can, it would be nice if I could reach the management page from the wireless side in case I need make changes or troubleshoot something and so on. It is a bit odd, I don't see any of it's management interfaces after this, I haven't gone and scanned for it's MAC and troubleshooted it further, hoping that someone might have a suggestion.

Much appreciated.

-JCL

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
In my experience with GL.iNet, I like their products beside the issue with them losing config occasionally.

I've also never had a good experience with OTS wireless bridges. If someone else has found some OTS wireless bridge that "just works" I'd also be interested :)

Currently my wireless bridged devices are connected through ASUS AiMesh (RT-AC68U). I prefer to have stuff hardwired, but my AiMesh works reasonably well to connect an older laser printer that's Ethernet only in the garage. The only issue I've had with it is that my house is a ranch style home with a lot of metal in the walls.

jcl333

May 28, 2011