Off site 2 way sync, dissimilar OS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm trying to identify a good method of conducting a 2 way sync between a ZFS (OmiOS) array and a remote windows owned hardware array. Both have nfs and samba shares. The arays are around 20TB in size with 16TB utilization. Please don't tell me to switch the hardware windows machine to ZFS. I want to, but the owner doesn't trust software raid and is a windows fanatic.

I'd use rsync, but I've had problems with 2 way syncing historically. I'm also not sure that method would work with windows.

I thought about a windows application like goodsync, but I suspect that method would take enormous amount of time over our office network.

I'm now considering a solution like owncloud, but I don't know the extent of it's syncing ability since I've never used it. I may be extremely off made here, but the web access is attractive if it provides the syncing capabilities.

What else should I research?

-V

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
ownCloud and Nextcloud don't do delta sync which is quite significant for remote sync. Also it is WebDAV based and can be slow in many scenarios where you sync a lot of data. Seafile might be better if you go for such solution, but both bring the complexity of maintaining DB, web server etc.

What about Unison File Synchronizer

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
There are pretty good sync tools for Windows that would work. I use GoodSync to sync from a Windows server to a samba share on Linux. It’s pretty flexible and can sync to many targets (including S3 and other cloud targets).

it’s commercial, it the license is pretty cheap for ‘non server’ hosts.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I've used syncthing to synchronize a few folder between windows and linux box and it works great.

Reactions: vudu

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
You can use rclone as an rsync replacement with a lot of cloud storage solutions. I haven't ever used it for a 2-way sync.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
+1 for syncthing. I use this in basically an identical scenario. You can then enable additional snapshotting at the remote end to achieve a point-in-time backup.

Make sure you set up some monitoring for syncthing to ensure the sync is running/enabled.

Reactions: vudu

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
syncthing: open source, secure, multi-platform support.

edit: forgot to mention, I agree with those before me on this :)

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Outstanding guys! I'll look into Syncthing. I've been working on the owner and I am closer to getting him to switch to ZFS all around, but probably won't happen for 6 months to a year.

Thanks for all your help!