APC RBC140 for $130 + ship in CDW Outlet

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I don't know how many of you out there have UPS units large enough to use these batteries, but if you do, these are at a super discount from the normal $400+ that they go for. There's a lot of these in stock, but I don't think they'll stay in the outlet longer than Friday since the price is already super-low:
APC REPL BATT CARTRIDGE #140 (BSTK) - APCRBC140-BSTK - Z - CDW Internal Use/Service Pts - CDW.com
APC REPL BATT CARTRIDGE #140 (BSTK) - APCRBC140-BSTK - Z - CDW Internal Use/Service Pts - CDW.com

Condition is open-box or bnib with full warranty and return policy through CDW. I would call and confirm stock as each CDW part number is typically just one unit and will not get filled if not in stock and takes up to week to find that out if you order online. Hope this helps someone's data center or home lab out there!

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
Too bad these use the 5Ah form factor batteries internally, if they used the 9Ah batteries I'd buy a few at this price to pull the batteries out of for a Dell 1920W UPS and external battery module that are coming up on needing new batteries.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Too bad these use the 5Ah form factor batteries internally, if they used the 9Ah batteries I'd buy a few at this price to pull the batteries out of for a Dell 1920W UPS and external battery module that are coming up on needing new batteries.
I never thought about doing that. :eek: But I guess that would be a way to source cheap quality batteries--taking them from other UPS batteries. Although I would never do that for an important UPS.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
I ended up replacing our UPS using replacement from PowerSonic. Anyone has idea which battery is better?

Reactions: Samir

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I ended up replacing our UPS using replacement from PowerSonic. Anyone has idea which battery is better?
I went into this a bit in my blog entries:
New Year, new UPS batteries…
[Another] New Year, new UPS batteries…

Lately I've been ordering from Battery Sharks as they are local to me, which keeps the shipping cost down. They sell SigmasTek batteries. I've probably purchased around 5000 pounds of batteries from them in the last year and haven't had a problem with them. Some of the batteries I've ordered previously have been in equipment for 2 or 3 years now without problems.

Most recently I started up an original Symmetra that had been stored since new (2000) in a garage where it and its extended battery frame became infested with animals. Much to my surprise, it powered up (after a thorough cleaning inside and out) and so I hooked it up with permanent wiring and 1200 pounds of new batteries:

The panel on the left is the input disconnect, the panel on the right is the output breaker panel, and the small cable is for the emergency power off buttons, one located in the computer room and one at each of the two office entry doors. These are illuminated so people can see them even in the dark:

Not visible in the first picture are 4 racks of computer gear to the right. This is both the office's Internet connection (we're an ISP, but this is just the office), a pair of RAIDzilla 2.5 file servers as well as a test lab for various equipment being put into service. There are cables plugged into outlets on the back of the UPS that lead to the various cabinets. You can see them along the back wall (on the carpet) off to the right in the first picture.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Thanks for the story. We need RBC43 batteries which is available on Amazon for 12@144 with S&H.

Batterysharks quotes 8@107.27 with S&H, which is slightly more expensive.

I did notice one of the unit came out much shorter on-battery duration. I might move it to another unit and see if it's the unit or the battery / enclosure. BTW some cables were burnt / corroded by the acid (?) so 1 of the enclosure was used as a donor to build other boxes.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Thanks for the story. We need RBC43 batteries which is available on Amazon for 12@144 with S&H.

Batterysharks quotes 8@107.27 with S&H, which is slightly more expensive.
If you're getting different numbers of batteries in those quotes, something is wrong. Check the battery type and size of your existing batteries against the ones being quoted.

BTW, RetailMeNot.com often has deals for BatterySharks - 10% off first purchase, sometimes free shipping, etc.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
If you're getting different numbers of batteries in those quotes, something is wrong. Check the battery type and size of your existing batteries against the ones being quoted.

BTW, RetailMeNot.com often has deals for BatterySharks - 10% off first purchase, sometimes free shipping, etc.
Yea RBC43 takes 8 batteries but on Amazon there's lot of 4 9 12 batteries and if I buy 2x12 I can fill 3x8 units. Batterysharks is slightly expensive at 24@308 but is pretty close. If I can find a free shipping deal it will be a lot cheaper.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I feel so.....inadequate. My wimpy little UPS uses a couple "motorcycle" style batteries :(. In fact, they use the exact same model as my electric lawnmower did!

msg7086

May 2, 2017
They are batteries, what would you expect. That's either lead acid (which is motorcycle battery), or NiMH (which is like the one in your TV remote) or Lithums (which is like your phone battery).

Even my car uses 168 NiMH battery for its traction battery (making it 168 * 1.2V = 201.6V).

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
They are batteries, what would you expect. That's either lead acid (which is motorcycle battery), or NiMH (which is like the one in your TV remote) or Lithums (which is like your phone battery).

Even my car uses 168 NiMH battery for its traction battery (making it 168 * 1.2V = 201.6V).
Yeah, I know. I just meant that mine is pretty ordinary and puny compared to one in the OP or the one that @Terry Kennedy posted. Gives me UPS envy ;)

I just looked it up and I found out my car has a 168 NiMH cells too. I had no idea how those battery packs were structured.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
I went into this a bit in my blog entries:
New Year, new UPS batteries…
[Another] New Year, new UPS batteries…

Lately I've been ordering from Battery Sharks as they are local to me, which keeps the shipping cost down. They sell SigmasTek batteries. I've probably purchased around 5000 pounds of batteries from them in the last year and haven't had a problem with them. Some of the batteries I've ordered previously have been in equipment for 2 or 3 years now without problems.

Most recently I started up an original Symmetra that had been stored since new (2000) in a garage where it and its extended battery frame became infested with animals. Much to my surprise, it powered up (after a thorough cleaning inside and out) and so I hooked it up with permanent wiring and 1200 pounds of new batteries:

The panel on the left is the input disconnect, the panel on the right is the output breaker panel, and the small cable is for the emergency power off buttons, one located in the computer room and one at each of the two office entry doors. These are illuminated so people can see them even in the dark:

Not visible in the first picture are 4 racks of computer gear to the right. This is both the office's Internet connection (we're an ISP, but this is just the office), a pair of RAIDzilla 2.5 file servers as well as a test lab for various equipment being put into service. There are cables plugged into outlets on the back of the UPS that lead to the various cabinets. You can see them along the back wall (on the carpet) off to the right in the first picture.
I was hoping this massive item was in your homelab :( and not an office

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
There's 4x RBC43s in the outlet that will continue to drop--I'd keep an eye on them as they'll probably get cheaper than Amazon, even with shipping. Plus, you don't have to worry about fakes:
APC REPLACEMENT BATT RBC43 (BSTK) - RBC43-BSTK - Z - CDW Internal Use/Service Pts - CDW.com
APC REPLACEMENT BATT RBC43 (BSTK) - RBC43-BSTK - Z - CDW Internal Use/Service Pts - CDW.com

msg7086

May 2, 2017
I doubt they'll drop below amazon price but that's a great deal for a replacement chassis. Since the existing chassis has corrosion and some of the harness went donor I might actually buy a whole battery assembly.