MikroTik CRS317-1G-16S+RM Review A 16-Port 10GbE Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
Great review and MikroTik is killing it with these low cost, flexible 10Gbe options. I'm looking forward to how they expand this line of products. Maybe something that defaults to copper instead of requiring pricey $30/transceiver modules. To fully populate this switch you would have to spend $450-500 on just the converters. Not exactly low cost enough for my homelab but this is a trend in the right direction. Hopefully, 2020 will be the year of multi-GB networking in my lab.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
Great review and MikroTik is killing it with these low cost, flexible 10Gbe options. I'm looking forward to how they expand this line of products. Maybe something that defaults to copper instead of requiring pricey $30/transceiver modules. To fully populate this switch you would have to spend $450-500 on just the converters. Not exactly low cost enough for my homelab but this is a trend in the right direction. Hopefully, 2020 will be the year of multi-GB networking in my lab.
That is what I am waiting for... 24 port 10Gb copper with 4x QSFP+

Reactions: Alfa147x

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I've got a pair of these as dedicated storage switches using DAC fiber and they haven't had a hiccup, i'm glad we didn't have to go to 10GbaseT, that said the CRS326-24S+2Q+RM would have likely been first choice if it was available when I did the rebuild since it has 2x40gb ports I could have used for the storage servers.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
We talked about that too. I think the CRS326-24S+2Q+RM, if you are ok with the extra cost, power, and noise, is a better value. I mentioned that in the video as well.

Reactions: William

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Agreed(I hadn't watched the video actually I forgot how loud the boot was mine haven't been power cycled in ages) On the performance side is there any chance we'll see STH cover any of the higher end RBxxx or CCRxxxx devices going forward? I know I've used some of the older RB3xxx routers in small installations to great effect and have been taking a long hard look at the CCR1036-8G-2S+ for a larger install with bgp routing for a while.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Agreed(I hadn't watched the video actually I forgot how loud the boot was mine haven't been power cycled in ages) On the performance side is there any chance we'll see STH cover any of the higher end RBxxx or CCRxxxx devices going forward? I know I've used some of the older RB3xxx routers in small installations to great effect and have been taking a long hard look at the CCR1036-8G-2S+ for a larger install with bgp routing for a while.
The plan for now is to increase switch vendor diversity in this segment, then move up to higher end gear.

Reactions: SRussell

am45931472

Feb 26, 2019
My question is specifically about configuring vlans. is configuring these switches for basic vlan traffic segregation considered an L2 or L3 scenario. I've read these switches can use the MAC tables for switching instead of an IP tables. I ask since L3 performance is so poor on these that its worth avoiding.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
It depends. Vlans are a layer 2 functionality, having the vlans talking to each other requires a layer 3 router...

Chris

sash

Nov 22, 2019
My question is specifically about configuring vlans. is configuring these switches for basic vlan traffic segregation considered an L2 or L3 scenario. I've read these switches can use the MAC tables for switching instead of an IP tables. I ask since L3 performance is so poor on these that its worth avoiding.
As long as this is not your main switch you can stay on L2 for it. I have this switch running SwitchOS. Routing is done on Brocade ICX6610.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick Hey, maybe we should have an update on CRS317 on L3 hw offload given ROS 7 (beta) ?
We would probably wait until non-Beta.

Also, the CRS317 is being used now. We usually get the reviews done, then the switches get installed somewhere.

Hoping tomorrow we have the CRS328-24P-4S+RM review though. Rohit's review is done. My video needs some afternoon work. It would have gone last week but last week was crazy enough as it is.