Vlan persistence in Solaris 11.3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NYCone

Jun 23, 2017
This is a bit off the subject as it's really a Solaris question.

I'm running a few ESXi - Solaris - napp-it boxes. I just set up vlans on my networks and they work perfectly. The trouble is, I can't seem to get the vlans to be persistent across reboots.

I've tried making /etc/hostname.interface files with IP addresses, and nothing.
I've tried using DefaultFixed, and the IP address disappears from boot to boot.

I'd welcome suggestions. Warning, I'm a Solaris beginner, so assume nothing.

NYCone

Jun 23, 2017

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I am not aware of a problem with persitency of ipadm. Did you always boot into the current BE?

But why are you using vlans on Solaris? The usual way is that you create a vnic ex vmxnet3 and connect it to an ESXi vlan. From Solaris view there is no vlan. If you want to use several vlans, use several vnics and connect each to another ESXi vlan.

If you want to use vlans on Solaris, connect one vnic to all ESXi vlans, then add virtual Solaris vnics (one for every vlan you want to use) and set them to a vlan each.

btw
Why are you on Solaris 11.3.
There are huge improvements on Solaris 11.4

NYCone

Jun 23, 2017
I'm getting around to moving to 11.4. I have multiple machines at multiple locations, I just need to time to do them all.

Regarding the vlans on the machine:

I'm sure I'm doing this the worst possible way (I just learned how to use vlans a week ago), but internally I want every user to have access to a NAS which is on the same ESXi machine that runs my firewall and is trunked to the switch. My clunky solution was to have a vlan interface on the solaris machine for each vlan so no matter what vlan folks were on, they could reach the pool. Is there a better way?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Gea's suggestion will cover that similar to your implementation.
He just suggests to move the vlan assignment part out of Solaris into ESXi where it is simpler.

Create a (d)vswitch with the appropriate VLAN & network with clear label, add a NIC to all VMs that should have access to the NAS (including the NAS that gets a new interface too), assigne the NAS_Network to the new nic, add an ip everywhere and you should be good to go.

Reactions: SRussell

NYCone

Jun 23, 2017
Gea's suggestion will cover that similar to your implementation.
He just suggests to move the vlan assignment part out of Solaris into ESXi where it is simpler.

Create a (d)vswitch with the appropriate VLAN & network with clear label, add a NIC to all VMs that should have access to the NAS (including the NAS that gets a new interface too), assigne the NAS_Network to the new nic, add an ip everywhere and you should be good to go.
I think I understand. I'll play with it and see if I get it going. If not, I may seek an example if you know of a site that's outlined a similar set up.

Thanks