Help setting up SuperMicro SC213

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cyan9

Jan 8, 2020
Hello everyone, new person here, and also for the server part is very new for me.

I want to add that if i created this post in wrong place, i would very much like you to reefer me to the correct place.

I recently purchased a Server desk with 16 HDD slots, 4 fans and a 200Watt power supplier
I am so new into this that i will present my questions and hopefully you people can help me on my way to be smarter guy on this.

From what i understand with this server/storage is that i need something more to be able to run "example: FreeNAS" And what other products do i need for this? I got 4 SAS cables on back of my server, that i guess i will need to plug-in into the other server with support of SAS cables. Is there some cheap servers that i can start with? My purpose with having a storage is to gather family images and private sharing at home. ...(for now)...

The fences cables that you can see on image, i cant find a place to plugin them on the board inside the server, ideas?

PS: You can see that the server/storage is smaller, it is sure cutted and the fences is places closer to the HDD's

I can add a few images of my server so you all see what i am dealing with.
I wish you all a great new year!

Regards: Cyan9

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You purchased about half of that chassis. It has been cut in half and you're in possession of the front only. No offense, but it sounds like you are way in over your head here given the sort of questions you're asking. You are probably better off buying a prebuilt NAS from Synology, QNAP, etc and populating it with whichever drives will fit your needs.

Reactions: SRussell and ignx

ignx

Aug 10, 2016
It is a half of 2u supermicro chassis not a complete server , somebody might have used it as a short depth jbod. You could do the same but that means some extra costs ( parts) and work (diy). And you would need a server to connect to jbod . There are some older guides on STH. You would limit yourself to 2.5 inch hdds and ssds ( even hdds wouldn`t be cheapest option due to price per gig and thicker drives will not fit, i use 2 9.5 mm drives, and it fits tight). Powering and controlling fans could be tricky , 4 server fans PWM blowing on full rpms is not something you want or need .

Reactions: SRussell

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I am in the new space as well...

This is beyond me but I think I might can point you in the right direction if you want to keep this and make it into a JBOD.

You will want a JBOD control unit. Supermicro makes three versions but I would only recommend the cb2 and the cb3:
SuperMicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB2: SuperMicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB2 Power Board for SuperMicro JBOD Server Chassis GREAT!! | eBay
Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB3: Supermicro 156191 Accessory Cse-ptjbod-cb3 Jbod Power Control Board Retail 672042146659 | eBay
* These are not my auctions. They are just examples for pricing of sold items and provide visual feedback

I highly recommend you search and watch a couple videos from Art of the Server: Art of Server

If you are going to turn this into a JBOD you will need an external SAS2 card in another machine. The cables you have already look like external cables to me. Again, I am novice on this so hopefully others with more knowledge will correct my advice and also take my advice with a grain of salt.

Again, I will refer you to Art of the Server's Ebay page: https://www.ebay.com/str/theartofserver. This guy is top of his game. Your card(s) will arrive tested, flash updated, and set to IT mode.
* I am not affiliated with Art of the Server.
He gives excellent advice and answers questions. I have learned so much from his videos and the questions he has answered.

If you are anywhere near Atlanta I have a SuperMicro CSE-216 that I am not using and you are welcome to it. If you want to pay for packaging and shipping I will send it to you.

Good Luck

Reactions: BLinux

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
You are missing everything behind the line. I am confused as to how you would even power this up.

SC213_missing.jpg

ignx

Aug 10, 2016
You can start psu by insering a pin bridging "power on" wire ( usualy green one) with ground wire (black). it can be done with a piece of wire/paper clip or you can use something like this