AMD at CES 2020 64-Core Threadripper 3990X and More Launched

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Maybe I missed it in the article.
But If I didn't, it might be worth pointing out that the TR 3990X is for the TRX40 platform. There was quite a bit of speculation about that.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
For 500 U$D less than the EPYC 7702P, you get 900 MHz more base clock, 950 MHz more turbo clock, but half PCIe Lanes and Memory Channels, plus no RDIMM support. And having an entirely different set of prosumer oriented Workstation Motherboards but no options with IPMI may greatly limit it, too.

I think that AMD would have done far better if they unified the EPYC and TR platforms in the same Socket (If they were going to drop Socket compatibility, they could have done this anyways), so at least there was some cross compatibility with Motherboards due to the massively different target market segments. Technically Intel does the same in LGA 2066, where using a Kaby Lake-X means half the channels and only 16 lanes whereas Skylake-X had 4 channels, and came in 28, 44 and 48 (Only in Xeons W) PCIe Lanes variants. I could see people picking an almost 1 GHz faster TR and stick it in a Server Motherboards just to have IPMI.

Also, the current Zen 2 TR lineup has no 16 Core parts or anything entry-level enough for someone that needs the I/O but not the core count. EPYC actually fills that niche. There seems to be some dissapointed people because I have recent replies in a Reddit Thread I did like 5 months ago about the EPYC 7282 being a better option than the still-unreleased 3950X or any Zen 2 TR, and there are at least two people that find it interesing after seeing AMD full lineup: Ryzen 3950X vs EPYC 7282: Cheaper than the former, wider I/O than ThreadRipper, at the cost of significantly lower clocks

Last edited: