mini-itx 28c and dual 100GE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Just finished my raptor extreme project. intel platinum 28c, mellanox connectx-5 dual 100GE nic in a custom sff mini-itx case:

Imgur

silent, powerful, and not ugly!!!
jp

next project: epyc rome 64c, supermicro proprietary mb, pcie 4.0, mellanox connectx-6 dual 100GE pcie 4.0 nic in an even more esoteric case!!!

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
No, I was serious. Other than the novelty of showing that it can be done, is there a practical reason?
It is for a very specific device that is used to test 5G networks. It needs to generate high rates of UE (think cell phones) traffic. It leverages software based traffic generators (VMs and containers) vs proprietary fpga-based hardware. The small form factor and low noise were a requirement and technical challenge that this mb helped to partially solve. the blue weave carbon fiber and zebra wood parts are probably more of the other posters comment....because I can or as my boy Al said in Scarface....Nothing exceeds like excess!!!
I agree though that it would have been a lot easier to just put these components in an ugly-ass sm chassis and let the 40mm fans go to town!

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Details! What is in there? Pics of the inside? C'mon man!
intel xeon 8176cpu, 128GB ram, 2x970pro m.2, mellanox connectx5 100GE x2 nic (swapped out with other nics as needed). hdplex 400ac/dc psu, custom sleeving in blue carbon (the whole build has a blue carbon color theme.) custom blue carbon weave carbon fiber top plate.

See below for a previous build based on the 2nd gen xeon d. This was made from a carbon fiber mold.

P1070806.JPG P1070815.JPG P1070814.JPG

Reactions: Patrick

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
For your next build, may I suggest using the Lian LI PC-Y6B case? (you did state the case should be even more esoteric)

You can mod it russian oligark style, with "missile defense systems" (using something like these?) and what not?
Or maybe do a "sunken ship" in an aquarium that doubles as water (or oil) cooling solution.