[ebay] HGST 6.4TB NVMe U.2 3DWPD HUSMR7664BDP301 $598.98

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
This is nvme drive, should work out of the box. Supermicro even did mention this particular model here: HGST SSDs | Supermicro Servers Support PCI-E SSD Solutions | Supermicro
How do you connect it to mb? Is it working with another mobos?
With this cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01COOQ3MS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I dont have any other board that could accept u.2 drive. Besides i just bought the SM board a month ago and i've only used it for installing OS on ssd, so i doubt the problem is the motherboard.
I saw other thread mention using HGST device manager, is it neccessary?
Edit : here's the thread, probably gonna try it

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-sn200-sas-nvme-7-68tb-husmr7676bdp3y1.24249/

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
With this cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01COOQ3MS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I dont have any other board that could accept u.2 drive. Besides i just bought the SM board a month ago and i've only used it for installing OS on ssd, so i doubt the problem is the motherboard.
I saw other thread mention using HGST device manager, is it neccessary?
Edit : here's the thread, probably gonna try it

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-sn200-sas-nvme-7-68tb-husmr7676bdp3y1.24249/
I have this model non u.2 hgst drive working fine in x11dpg-qt, just plug and play, so I don't think that HGST device manager is required.
From the specs of your board: M.2#1~2 are shared with PCI-Ex4 slot, M.2#2 is shared with U.2.
Do you use this m.2 slot for OS SSD? If not, you can try to buy m.2->u.2 adapter to just test the drive itself with another board.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
I have this model non u.2 hgst drive working fine in x11dpg-qt, just plug and play, so I don't think that HGST device manager is required.
From the specs of your board: M.2#1~2 are shared with PCI-Ex4 slot, M.2#2 is shared with U.2.
Do you use this m.2 slot for OS SSD? If not, you can try to buy m.2->u.2 adapter to just test the drive itself with another board.
Yes, i'm aware of that, thats why i have the OS installed on sata port. Both m.2 slots are still unused. I havent changed the bios setting other than primary display. Do i need to disable the pci-ex4 slot or something?
Kinda worrying cause it took almost a month to get to my country and i had to pay shipment + tax for it..

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
Yes, i'm aware of that, thats why i have the OS installed on sata port. Both m.2 slots are still unused. I havent changed the bios setting other than primary display. Do i need to disable the pci-ex4 slot or something?
Kinda worrying cause it took almost a month to get to my country and i had to pay shipment + tax for it..
I'm not aware of any special settings, maybe others more experienced members will help... I will get these drives only in a month or even two to be able test them.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Well silly me, i didn't know U.2 drives also requires power!
I was always under the impression it doesnt need it since it has "nvme" in it.
Plugged the power cable and it seems to work after i format it,
but now there's another problem, after 30 min or so the drive dissapears, it's not even on disk manager, rebooting doesn't seem to help.
What could be the cause?

Last edited:

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
Well silly me, i didn't know U.2 drives also requires power!
I was always under the impression it doesnt need it since it has "nvme" in it.
Plugged the power cable and it seems to work after i format it,
but now there's another problem, after 30 min or so the drive dissapears, it's not even on disk manager, rebooting doesn't seem to help.
What could be the cause?
Do you see the drive in the BIOS now? Did it disappeared during some intensive workload? Try to check OS logs.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Do you see the drive in the BIOS now? Did it disappeared during some intensive workload? Try to check OS logs.
I did nothing other than creating a folder,
i'm away from the system now so i cant check it directly.
Btw for those who got it to work, which u.2 cable are you using?
Supermicro tech said the cable is the cause..

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016

Ok i had another u.2 cable laying around so i tested it, its been almost an hour and no issues so far, hdd sentinel shows nothing wrong except the high temp, is it normal?
I havent even write anything on the drive yet, just a single folder for testing.
I will leave it for a day or 2, rather not return it to be honest, but i cant use it for production if its unstable

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011

Ok i had another u.2 cable laying around so i tested it, its been almost an hour and no issues so far, hdd sentinel shows nothing wrong except the high temp, is it normal?
I havent even write anything on the drive yet, just a single folder for testing.
I will leave it for a day or 2, rather not return it to be honest, but i cant use it for production if its unstable

These are 25w load drives, they need airflow.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
These are 25w load drives, they need airflow.
Hmm so with my previous cable it was overheating?
That could be a possibility, the room was hotter yesterday when i left it, this morning the temperature is lower.
I dont have a spare server case, so i just test the system without casing, I'll try pointing a fan later to the drive and see if the temp goes down

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You most def. do not want to run benchmarks or tests on enterprise NVME with 0 air flow, you most certainly should put a fan blowing air on them, and probably will need more than 900rpm silent desktop-style case fans.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
I decided to borrow an unused server case from a friend, and yes the temp goes down now, about 40 ish.
Didn't expect an u2 ssd to need this much cooling though...
This is what i got crystal diskmark, btw is there any stress tools that can recognized this drive? Tried gsmartcontrol but it doesn't seem to recognize it

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I would second T_Minus comment on U2 enterprise SSD requiring some serious cooling. A while back I bought a PM1715 samsung 800Gb for my desktop (first NVME drive I bought). When I bought the drive I ran a few test and didn't really paid attention to temperature as much, thinking that the drive is sitting right behind 200MM intake fan. A few month later during the summer, my central AC broke and the SSD was running hot for a few weeks apparently, and the health drops from 100% to 78%. I was curious and start investigating the cause, and found out that even at idle the ssd temp was over 60 (red in disksentinel). I decided to retrofit my case with push pull setup noctua 140MM fan set at almost max speed, and bought a 2.5" drive heatsink to bring it down to mid 40 degress during the summer at idle. Since then the drive been running for over 3 years and many more terabyte R/W later, the health stayed at 78%. I guess moral of the story is, get ready to cool the sucker if you want your drive to last a long time :)

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
IDK, my PCI-E drives (Intel P3605 and PM1725) sitting around 40C in tower case without extra cooling. Pretty happy with performance too

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
IDK, my PCI-E drives (Intel P3605 and PM1725) sitting around 40C in tower case without extra cooling. Pretty happy with performance too
Both of those drives iirc have power options, are you runing them at 25w mode?
Have you written to them sustained for minutes, if so you'd see the temps they get very high.
I don't advise it in testing and most def. not in use.

In my desktop I have an optane and p4500 with a 120m blowing on them, it's fine for my desktop where usage is more spikes than consistent. I wouldn't trust they'd stay cool enough to stress them in my environment like this though without monitoring temps very closely as I did.