SuperMicro 3U chassis with custom build (beginner questions)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fatefree

Dec 27, 2019
Hi guys, I am trying to build a single do-it-all server based on a:

Ryzen 3900x CPU
ASRock x470D4U motherboard
12x10TB WD Reds
and a rack case.

I was looking at the cheap Rosewill cases, but I saw so many good recommendations about the SuperMicro 3U and 4U cases that I wanted to know if I could use one with just the backplane and PSU to enclose and power my build. What I don't understand is what I would need to connect the backplane to the asrock motherboard, what connects the drives to the backplane, if there would be any problems using drives greater than 2TB, and any other gotchas about the chassis.

I liked the number of bays on the 3U, but I was worried about whether my stock Ryzen cooler would fit so I won't discount the 4U as an option. Can anyone help explain this to someone who has only ever built home PCs? Thanks!

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
With the Supermicro chassis, it really depends on the type of backplane you get with it (you'll see it in the model number, eg SC846E16). Most common options are as follows:

TQ - 24 SATA ports (16 on 3U). It's about as straightforward as it gets, but you'll have a lot of cables.
A - 6 x multilane ports (4 on 3U). Very similar to the TQ backplane, but instead it has SFF8087 connectors. Will work with anything SATA so long as you have the correct cable (~$5 each).
E16 - SAS expander backplane. You will need a SAS HBA of some sort to hook this up (SATA drives are still supported). Benefit is that you only need to run a single multilane cable (or use 2 for higher bandwidth).
E26 - Same as the E16, but it supports dual port SAS drives. This will offer no benefit to you, so no point in paying extra for it.
E1 - Old SAS expander backplane. Has issues with drives over 2TB, so avoid it.
E2 - Dual port SAS version of the E1 backplane. Same 2TB limit, so avoid it too.

As for what connects the drives to the backplane, the answer is that there's nothing in-between. The drives connect directly to it.

I personally use one of the E16 backplanes and can recommend it since you're not looking at 24 SSDs and SAS HBAs are very cheap. Having to only run a single cable is quite convenient.

Reactions: dawsonkm

Fatefree

Dec 27, 2019
E16 - SAS expander backplane. You will need a SAS HBA of some sort to hook this up (SATA drives are still supported). Benefit is that you only need to run a single multilane cable (or use 2 for higher bandwidth).
Wow thanks! So it looks like the
BPN-SAS2-836EL1 model is the one that is best for me. It seems I just have to find some SAS HBA that works for this and my motherboard.. I will attempt to research this. If you have any recommendations please let me know in the mean time.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Front panel connections.

Many SM chassis (3U and 4U especially) uses a ribbon cable to connect to a SM motherboard.
You'll want to compare the pinouts on your motherboard to say a SM motherboard but more than likely you will need a front panel breakout cable. I'm not endorsing this one on AMZ just providing an example. You can find them elsewhere and on the bay.