Adding blu ray drive to supermicro server 2U

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NotAServerGuy

Jun 16, 2019
I am a noob with this stuff so I appreciate the help in advance.

I recently bought a supermicro server and I am hoping to upgrade the dvd drive to a blu ray burner. The drive that is in there is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-UJ...sr_1_1?keywords=UJDA780&qid=1577534759&sr=8-1

This looks to be an IDE drive. Can I simply pop in another SATA drive? I have open SATA slots. I have an external LG SATA device but I can't get the server to recognize it from the OS (I am using Open Media Vault).

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Putting in a new SATA drive should work. The one you linked I don't think has the standard SATA connector or slim SATA or whatever. I would get something with standard connectors so it isn't hard to find cables for power and SATA.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Putting in a new SATA drive should work. The one you linked I don't think has the standard SATA connector or slim SATA or whatever. I would get something with standard connectors so it isn't hard to find cables for power and SATA.
My adapters were ~2" for this so not too bad if you had to go that route too

NotAServerGuy

Jun 16, 2019
Thanks so much for your reply. Just to be clear, the one I linked is the one that is currently in there. So in theory should any slim device fit in the same spot?

NotAServerGuy

Jun 16, 2019
My adapters were ~2" for this so not too bad if you had to go that route too
Thanks for your reply. Can you point me in the direction of these adapters? Or even a device that would work in the same spot? My fear is buying something and having it not be something that is compatible with the unit.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Thanks so much for your reply. Just to be clear, the one I linked is the one that is currently in there. So in theory should any slim device fit in the same spot?
In theory yes, but there are slight size difference I learned recently. I removed a DVD to put in a BR and it didn't fit, I had to trim the plastic a bit to fit the 1mm or so more needed.

Thanks for your reply. Can you point me in the direction of these adapters? Or even a device that would work in the same spot? My fear is buying something and having it not be something that is compatible with the unit.
SATA Power to Thin DVD\Blu Ray is what the adapter is, amazon, newegg, etc. has various :)
Some are plastic piece that converts power\sata to 'full size' some are 2-4" extensions that do it, lot of choices iirc :)