Supermicro X10SRL-F $205 OBO - $120 OBO accepted in qty

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Well actually, "initializing ipmi stays on the screen longer than any other message and does so twice so I'm going to try disabling it an d see if it makes a difference.
If it does, it's not a warm boot. IPMI gets initialized ONLY on a cold boot (umm...Lights out mgmt and all that. If the server has power, the BMC is up)

I can see no option to disable PXE or iSCSI in the BIOS. :confused:
Look under PCIe configuration --> Lan 1 --> Option Rom = disabled.

Reactions: Fritz

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Mine is giving an error for dimmd1 slot. I didn't try all 8 slots but it seems like it is not a common problem as 5 of the others are working.

I wiped the CPU contacts with alcohol and board is placed on a insulated static bag. I am not sure what else I can do other than returning it. Did anyone else have issues with these boards?

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have a similar problem.
My SM board complain about A1 slot or A2 slot.
Even it POST without error, sometimes , it failed memtest.

Took about 4 days, trying many different ram sticks and running memtest.
Finally , found 8 x 16gb sticks that would worked together and passed 12hours memtest.
I just started Prime95 test now. Hopefully, it would run another 12 hrs error free

Reactions: T_Minus

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I have a similar problem.
My SM board complain about A1 slot or A2 slot.
Even it POST without error, sometimes , it failed memtest.

Took about 4 days, trying many different ram sticks and running memtest.
Finally , found 8 x 16gb sticks that would worked together and passed 12hours memtest.
I just started Prime95 test now. Hopefully, it would run another 12 hrs error free
How did you get the issue fixed? Did you simply switch to different sticks?

I thought post covers all the basic checks. I am surprised that you run 12 hours of memtest. Is there a value of running these tests (memtest, prime95) on a system that is running stock, server grade hardware?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Problem,
1) It failed POST, and complain A1 or A2 slot
2) It pass POST, then it failed memtest after few hours with ecc error.

SM board is very picky about the type of ram,
Combined with flaky ram problem making it hard to diagnosis.

I matched all 8 sticks with the same label and spec first , then run 12 hours of memtest.
You should follow the SM ram support list when in doubt.
I did not want to buy new extra ram, so I use the ram that I have.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Problem,
1) It failed POST, and complain A1 or A2 slot
2) It pass POST, then it failed memtest after few hours with ecc error.

SM board is very picky about the type of ram,
Combined with flaky ram problem making it hard to diagnosis.

I matched all 8 sticks with the same label and spec first , then run 12 hours of memtest.
You should follow the SM ram support list when in doubt.
I did not want to buy new extra ram, so I use the ram that I have.
THIS.

I hate RAM problems.

Is it the RAM?
Did I install it correctly?
Is it a CPU Pin?
Is it a RAM slot?
Is it "WORKING" RAM for this board? Should it be?

LOL list goes on.

I got one board form a member here need to test it sounds like :D

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I put the same RAM in a different slot on the same board, no error is reported. I put a different dimm on the same D1 slot, I got an error.

I was actually surprised that motherboard let me fill up any random slot I wanted. In the past, motherboards were picky to fill the slots in a given order.

I guess motherboard has some issues, time to ask for RMA but I will try smaller 8Gb memory modules just to see.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I put the same RAM in a different slot on the same board, no error is reported. I put a different dimm on the same D1 slot, I got an error.

I was actually surprised that motherboard let me fill up any random slot I wanted. In the past, motherboards were picky to fill the slots in a given order.

I guess motherboard has some issues, time to ask for RMA but I will try smaller 8Gb memory modules just to see.
Do you have another CPU to test with, or another board to test this CPU in to make sure it's good? As mentioned above this can be the cause and is one of the reasons troubleshooting these issues is a such a pain.

Reactions: Bert

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have the same problem.

I install known good ram into A1 , A2 slot, it still random with POST error or ECC error during memtest.

With luck, Took many tries, I manage to get it pass 12hours memtest.

Right now, my workbench is occupied with my main server upgrade.
I'll run Prime95 overnight to verify the combo is working .
I still not sure it is 100% healthy.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I bought a E5 2620v3 and 32gb of Hynix memory off eBay. Last few days I've spent loading and configuring Linux Mint Cinnamon on it and have run into zero issues hardware wise. I haven't run memtest and see no reason to at present. Mem is 2 x 16gb in DIMMA1 and DIMMC1.

Memory is - HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF HYNIX 16GB

james23

Nov 18, 2014
FWIW- i bought a X10 SRL-F about a 9mo ago from a different ebay seller, and i too sometimes see the ram slot error on post. Its actually been quite a while since ive seen it, but even with verified good ram (ie memtest many days) and RAM on the boards QVL, i still have seen the SLOT xyz error a few times, on this paticular board/model. (the entire board / system runs fine once its booted though, i mainly use it/this system to test HDDs though, so it will be off for months at a time).

i dont see this on my other SM systems (i always use QVL ram though, anywhere)

Reactions: Marsh

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
Hi, got one of these boards from the seller. Do you guys know if it ships with lastest bios and if it supports ES CPUs?
And what is "missing" from this generation of ES CPUs?

Asked the seller, and got this answer..... :
Hello,

We sell hardware only. Please refer to the manufacture for further specifications.

Thank you for your purchase!

Have a great day,
Ryan.
=)

Reactions: chaoscontrol

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
I just tested one of my two boards (haven't tested the other one yet) and have the same issues that the MB complaining Dimm A1 and A2. Does anyone have contacted SM or know the cause of the issue on this MB?

Updated: I swap/exchange couple RAMs and now boot it up without error for the first time, i will test couple more to see if the error comes back.

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
@mmo
Welcome to my world.
I managed to have 8 x 16gb ram working error free after few days of works.
There is no chance that I will ever change the set of 8 working ram.
The ram will stay in the same slot for the rest of its life.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
@Marsh
Same here i managed to have 8x16gb ram on the first board that without issues, and now i need to find another 8x dimms for my 2nd board :(, probably this MB is super picky on the RAMs.

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
Hi, got one of these boards from the seller. Do you guys know if it ships with lastest bios and if it supports ES CPUs?
And what is "missing" from this generation of ES CPUs?

Asked the seller, and got this answer..... :

=)
Latest BIOS and firmware update license was activated on mine.

Running QHUZ in one, runs just fine.

Reactions: Sogndal94

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
Looks like the 2 RAMs I used were defected. Both boards are Post without any error so far.