HP DL325, Epyc 24 core 7402p, 64GB, SAS $1611

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
How have the fans behaved with the optane? I put an optane AIC in my DL380 g8 and it ramped the fans to 50%.
Probably not noticing that since the servers themselves are running at 75% load most days.

Reactions: Samir

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
I received my first DL325 Gen10 yesterday and have been playing with it since. I really like the machine in most ways but it looks like I will be going the home built route. Stock the machine is almost bearable noise wise, the fans idle at 11%. I need something faster than 1Gbps connections and throwing in a 560flr-spf+ flexlom card immediately causes the fans to run at 40% which is very loud. If you are going to stick with the stock networking then these things aren't terribly loud though I wouldn't want it in the same office I was in if I could help it. These things are going to be perfect for our clients however.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I think it’s very good value if it fits your needs, being 1u the noise is about the only downside I see.
Now that I have a JBOD larger than anything I would ever need I am considering keeping the JBOD and ordering a server.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
For the price this thing is awesome. If it weren't for the noise issues I would be ordering a second one for myself. If noise isn't an issue jump on this when it's available in the low $1600's. I believe the sale should be going on until at least mid January.

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
well I'm in for 3x ...+ NVMe backplane + NVMe cables. (Hope thats all I need to swap from SATA/SAS to NVMe)

3x HPE CAs kit, slimline 8SFF NVMe (Cable kit)
SKU: P07020-001-HPE

3x HPE PCA, Backplane, 8SFF NVMe
SKU: P07019-001-HPE

Reactions: SRussell and Samir

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
well I'm in for 3x ...+ NVMe backplane + NVMe cables. (Hope thats all I need to swap from SATA/SAS to NVMe)

Is this for your office or home lab?

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
Is this for your office or home lab?
Home lab/office - hoping to replace my current 3x dl20 g9 cluster, 2x dl380 g9 and a SM 2u x24/4nvme. (Just hyperconverged cluster with offsite backup)

This is going in a netshelter cx cabinet so it can be a little bit noisy.

Someone got me on the NVMe bandwagon.. even though I know it's totally unnecessary.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
@Patrick should reach out to them to setup affiliate links and advertising.
It's usually hard to get in with companies like that. And most site owners use a service to do ad fulfillment, so they rarely do direct sales anymore. At least this is my experience owning a site.

Reactions: SRussell

bytebuilder

Mar 19, 2018

Where did you end up sourcing the backplane and cable from? I'm considering going with the 2 nvme backplane or to change out the main one.

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
Where did you end up sourcing the backplane and cable from? I'm considering going with the 2 nvme backplane or to change out the main one.
I'm still working it out - received 3x of the 8SFF backplanes for NVME.. but the cable kits are missing - I ordered but didn't arrive.. yet. I also ordered 2SFF cage(P16972-B21) and NVME enablement kit (From provantage)- but I think the 2SFF cage isn't neccessary - as it looks like the NVME Enablement kit I just received today ( P04979B21) comes with the cage as part of enablement kit...

When I get all my parts ordered - and figured out what I need I'll give a list - Hopefully here within the week..

Reactions: altmind and Samir

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
I'm still working it out - received 3x of the 8SFF backplanes for NVME.. but the cable kits are missing - I ordered but didn't arrive.. yet. I also ordered 2SFF cage(P16972-B21) and NVME enablement kit (From provantage)- but I think the 2SFF cage isn't neccessary - as it looks like the NVME Enablement kit I just received today ( P04979B21) comes with the cage as part of enablement kit...

When I get all my parts ordered - and figured out what I need I'll give a list - Hopefully here within the week..
And the cablekit is backordered with NO eta. Who knows how long that could be.... I did discover it looks like these use the 24g SAS cable - SFF-8654 8i - $25/each - half tempted to try it.. Just need to come up with money for NVME drives now..

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
And the cablekit is backordered with NO eta. Who knows how long that could be.... I did discover it looks like these use the 24g SAS cable - SFF-8654 8i - $25/each - half tempted to try it.. Just need to come up with money for NVME drives now..

Built out my first NVME server - not very hard at all. -

Parts required for 8x SFF NVME

Slimline 8SFF NVME cable kit
P/N# P07020-001 (This comes with a new power header between MB and backplane, nvme used 6pin header vs standard 4pin power)

PCA Backplane 8SFF NVME
P/N# P07019-001 (This is just the backplane)

---------------------------------------------

Parts required for 2x SFF NVME (add on or separate cage)
P/N# P04979-B21

---------------------------------------------

If you want 10x NVME server (like me, because no real reason), you need the parts above + 7x total performance fans - IE have to buy 2x. Yes the Mobo puts a "Failed Fan Redundancy" failure, even with an empty chassis if it detects all NVME drives.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
For those of you using Server 2019 there are some steps that need to be taken to get it to install properly. This seems to be an issue with all Epyc servers as I had to use these steps to get my SM setup to work as well.

Download the latest 2019 ISO, the original is busted.
Turn off IOMMU and SMT in the BIOS.
Install Windows.
Patch to the latest version, this is critical and may take two update attempts.
Turn IOMMU and SMT back on in the BIOS.
?.
Profit.

Here is a reference document from HP:
HPE Support document - HPE Support Center

Reactions: TXAG26