Rackmount UPS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Anyway, APC vs Cyberpower vs Eaton, does anyone have anything to say?
There is a lot more used APC stuff out there which keeps costs down. The APC units (at least until you get up into large datacenter units) are definitely built to a price point, though. Adding features like the LCD front panel and keeping the price the same means that the charging circuitry isn't as good as it used to be. The newer APC units are essentially unrepairable out of warranty. The older units were less complicated and you could trace though things yourself to fix them if you had the skill, though I value my time enough that fixing a 1500VA UPS vs. buying a replacement used unit is a no-brainer - just buy a replacement. APC will not provide any support for customers wanting to repair these units. I find the "sweet spot" for those smaller Smart-UPS units is around the 2008 era - new enough to have software-adjustable charging voltage but old enough to not have been "cost optimized" into low quality.

The normal problem with the older small APC models is that the charging / float voltage drifts out of spec to the high side, resulting in boiling / bloating the batteries. This can be adjusted on the older units and there is a lot of info out there on how to do it, for both the versions that can be adjusted in software and the older ones that need a hardware mod.

The larger old APC units are built like tanks, though - the system I'm typing this on is protected by a 22-year-old Matrix 5000 (with fresh batteries) and I recently started up an original Symmetra 16KVA that was purchased new in 2000, never used, and stored in a wet garage with small animals nesting in it and it powered up and ran just fine after replacing all of the batteries.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I'm not intereted in old units anyway since I am not knowledgeable in elecronics.
I'm assuming the rackmount units should be a bit better quality than the lowcost people buy for desktops though.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I'm not intereted in old units anyway since I am not knowledgeable in elecronics.
You did say you'd prefer 2nd hand stuff in your original message.
I wasn't suggesting you buy a 20-year-old unit, just showing how reliable the older equipment is.
I'm assuming the rackmount units should be a bit better quality than the lowcost people buy for desktops though.
Rackmount and tower units of the same generation are likely very similar inside. In fact, some models convert from tower to rack.

You definitely want to look at the Smart-UPS and not the Back-UPS. The latter is the 'value line' (AKA cheap stuff) but I don't think any of those come in a rack form factor anyway.

You can add a network management card to the Smart-UPS which gives you a lot more features. The models are:

AP9631 - latest card with connectors for 2 external sensors
AP9630 - latest card without those connectors
AP9617/18/19 - previous generation, not really supported with updates any more. Various options for sensors / modem / etc. depending on model
AP9606 - 2 generations back, you don't want that. Unsupported with known security vulnerabilities. Probably doesn't work with newer UPS units anyway
AP9605 - 3 generations back, run away

Reactions: Octopuss

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I meant old as in ancient. Anyway, I get what you said.

And I definitely do want to get one of those cards, that's kind of the reason why I want a better UPS in the first place (right after run time of course). Just need to find a decent deal.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
And speaking of the management cards - are those from China knockoffs/fake made from questionable parts (like most of that stuff is, namely network cards made by Intel etc.), or it doesn't matter in this case?

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I've realized the current crappy UPS can do about 40 minutes at 50W load, which is more than enough (interestingly, the server, small switch, PoE-powered AP on the roof and a small router combined don't exceed 60W all together), so I'll just keep an eye out on Ebay and other sources for something interesting from APC and Cyberpower.
I still want something that can communicate with ESXi "natively" (for lack of better words), eventually, because Apcupsd is beyond my understanding to set up. Fortunately power outages here are rare.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
And speaking of the management cards - are those from China knockoffs/fake made from questionable parts (like most of that stuff is, namely network cards made by Intel etc.), or it doesn't matter in this case?
The only bad experience I've heard on these cards out of China is someone selling pre-production units of a model that was never manufactured (one with an Ethernet switch included). However, that doesn't mean that there aren't fakes there - an eBay seller is counterfeiting fans for APC UPSs, so anything is possible. It looks like AP9631 cards from US sellers are in the $40 to $50 range so there probably isn't any need to get one from China.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I eventually bought an APC unit that works well enough, but it's making an annoying buzzing noise when the battery backup kicks in, and it only has four outlets.
I'm still eying Eaton, but I have no idea how noisy they are. The APC I have either has zero rpm fan mode or is extremely slow during normal operation - or maybe it doesn't even have a fan. I don't actually know, lol. But I do know I need a silent UPS since the rack sits right next to my wife's desk in the living room.

Does anyone know anything regarding the fans and noise with Eaton 5P series by chance?

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
Don't know about 5P series. But I'm running Eaton 9SX 9SX1000IR UPS 2U 19" and it's very noisy. Definetely would not recommend for noise allergics.

hlidskialf

Apr 28, 2016
I'm running a Eaton 5px 1500, and it's only loud when booting up (about 2 min total fans at 100%) otherwise it's basically silent.
Quite content with it actually.

Edit: Total load of my rack on it is about 33%. At that load it's silent.

Reactions: Octopuss

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Most line-interactive UPSes generate minimal heat when supplied by mains power, and hence are silent during normal operation. They will get hot when drawing from battery during an outage or recharging battery after an outage, and then it is vital to have good cooling on the batteries -- and you'll also probably not mind the noise, knowing it's doing its job.

Reactions: nexox and bwahaha