What SFP programmer board or coding system are y'all using for your transceivers and DAC cables?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
What SFP programmer board or coding system are y'all using for your transceivers and DAC cables?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
You will have a very hard time finding a programmer that will handle anything other than optics sold by that particular programmer manufacturer. Actually, you can find the programmer hardware (it's a simple I2C to USB adapter) but you won't find software to change the optics so they can be reprogrammed by someone else's tool.

I use the Solid Optics Fiber Multi Tool (an older version of this) because I can get custom codings for bizarre applications when needed (for example, coding a 100Mbit DWDM optic to appear as a 100Mbit multimode to get it to work in a Catalyst 3750 which only supports multimode at 100Mbit). If your needs are more conventional, you could get by with less expensive optics / tool, for example from fs.com.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
don't own one, but I've used SFP Total units at work. Their software comes with something like ~300 vendor unlock passwords/scripts, they'll write to pretty much all the major locked optics - and if it can't, it supports some brute force methods you can leave it to try overnight, although I've never had to use/test that functionality. It'll let you arbitrarily code any part of the MSA spec, eg the byte identifying the media type as terry mentioned

SFPTotal - Programmer GBIC, SFP, SFP+, XFP, QSFP transceivers

Reactions: llowrey

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
don't own one, but I've used SFP Total units at work. Their software comes with something like ~300 vendor unlock passwords/scripts, they'll write to pretty much all the major locked optics - and if it can't, it supports some brute force methods you can leave it to try overnight, although I've never had to use/test that functionality. It'll let you arbitrarily code any part of the MSA spec, eg the byte identifying the media type as terry mentioned

SFPTotal - Programmer GBIC, SFP, SFP+, XFP, QSFP transceivers
I've been interested in such a thing for quite some time.

The $980 price tag is probably more than the optics/cables we want to reprogram are worth. If there is interest in this sort of thing here would folks be interested in a rental program?

Thinking out loud... I think $100 (or less depending on interest) for a week or two rental including shipping both ways would be reasonable.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I've been interested in such a thing for quite some time.

The $980 price tag is probably more than the optics/cables we want to reprogram are worth. If there is interest in this sort of thing here would folks be interested in a rental program?

Thinking out loud... I think $100 (or less depending on interest) for a week or two rental including shipping both ways would be reasonable.
The sfp/sfp+ version that OP asked for is only $350

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
The sfp/sfp+ version that OP asked for is only $350
True, but the $980 version has QSFP+ support and that would make it appeal to a wider audience that should make the rental cost go down. Given that I'd likely only need this device once, I'd rather pay a $100 rental fee than buy one at $350. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud... mostly because I want the $980 version so I can program QSFP optics but am too cheap to pony up the cash for a one-time use.