Mikrotik Help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Hi

Picked this up a CRS226-24G-2S+RM a while back, been using it on and off but only put it back into use again recently. I'm not trying to do anything too strenuous, a bit of VLANing and QOS, but I'm continually confused by the multiple ways you can configure some of the options.

I've used the switch-VLAN config tabs rather than the interface-VLAN approach as I think this uses the h/w rather than in s/w. However , I'm struggling to get a Unifio wifi to work on this properly.

I want to allow 3 tagged vlans across the port its plugged into and tag any untagged ports onto a fourth VLAN. The latter works fine but I can't get the tagged packets to work. The ubiquiti device is setup the same as another which is working fine against a Dell switch. I'm a bit stumped - particularly as I am sure I had this setup working before.

Am I approaching this in the wrong way from what I have written i.e should i be defining a bridge device and using the int method? I can plonk down the config if it will help.

texteditor

Oct 8, 2019
Do you have MAX learning turn on all ports? That was my issue with tagging when I got my first Mikrotik

paulsa

Oct 19, 2016
Make sure it is on the latest stable version of ROS.

Then reset it, create a bridge, enable vlan filtering on the bridge, add all ports to the bridge, and then add tagged/untagged vlans to the respective ports under the bridge menu.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Do you have MAX learning turn on all ports? That was my issue with tagging when I got my first Mikrotik
Thanks - will take a look. All my other tagging seems to work though - that is what is confusing. To me anyway.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Make sure it is on the latest stable version of ROS.

Then reset it, create a bridge, enable vlan filtering on the bridge, add all ports to the bridge, and then add tagged/untagged vlans to the respective ports under the bridge menu.
Thanks I'll look at that but I thought doing it that way means the switching will be done in software not on the switch chip?

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Unless you want to be an expert with MikroTik's older syntax, you'd be better off with their newer switch that can take advantage of the newer syntax. Read this guide to set it up.
Sorry to reply so late. Must say I love the guide you wrote on the link - very clear. I'll see what I can learn but don't really want to drop another load of cash on another microtik switch.