Common RAID DDF (Disk Data Format)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

perdrix

Mar 3, 2016
AFAIK the LSI RAID controllers support the Common Raid Disk Data Format standard, but do the Adaptec RAID controllers (or am I just out of luck hoping to change a RAID from an Adaptec controller to an LSI one)?

Hoping not to have to completely backup multi TB of data, trash the array and start over.

David

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The general rule is moving from an older card to a newer card, from the same vendor=mostly doable. Moving from one vendor to another=highly unlikely. At the least you are likely to have to perform some magic to get the foreign array to be recognised in a way that the new controller will be happy with, at the worst the array gets trashed and there's no way back for your data without serious investment or professional help.

I wouldn't risk it. By far the best plan is a backup/ restore onto the new array :)

Also, don't listen to all the marketeering jargon, it's not their data that goes up in smoke if it goes sideways :D

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The general rule is moving from an older card to a newer card
The new adaptec/microchip raid (smartraid) controllers can't import arrays from series 8 or older raid cards. I tried to find more information why but had no luck.