How would you handle this Ebay snafu

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I ordered a Supermicro CSE-846E16-R1200B but the seller shipped me a CSE-847E2C-R1K28JBOD. I will need to return the unit to the seller but I am physically unable to pickup the unit. I ordered the 846 because it is under 60lbs which is about 15lbs away from my max lift of 75lbs (Spinal fusion and other impairments). I can drag the 847 but I can not pickup 97lbs.

Is there a service I can use that will come by and pickup the unit and take it to the shipper? USPS max pickup weight is 70lbs, FedEx requires an account number, and I could not find a definitive answer for UPS. I could drag the unit to the garage and put it on a pallet if that would help with shipping.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
UPS you should be able to go to their website and "Request a Pickup" it may be $5 iirc.
If you have a local owner\operator pak-n-ship iE: PakMail depending on who it is and if you deal with them they would come pick it up too, maybe even on the way to their business in the morning, etc...

The 847 is nice too bad you can't lift it, would have been a nice 'oops'!

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
how about ask your friends to do you a favor to help you installing the 847 into your rack instead of returning it? Then it would be a quite nice holiday surprise for you.

Reactions: SRussell

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Question #1 for me is whether that 847 is useful. It is a JBOD instead of a full server. It is a better box.

If it is useful, and it is hard to move, then I think the friends/ or hiring someone to help you rack it is a good idea. A quick tip that will help is that the power supplies are several pounds each. If you take out the power supplies, hard drive trays, and the top cover, and fans that should save you 10-20lbs. I often uninstall PSUs before racking gear just to make them lighter and less awkward. You can re-install everything once it is on rails.

If you need to send it back, that is harder since you need everything in the box. Seller will need to pay for return shipping which on a box like that is worth them spending $25 to cover the cost of someone helping. Maybe using a furiture moving 4x caster setup or a dolly would help get the box somewhere that it can be picked up.

Still, keeping the box means you also need a server to sit somewhere else and need external SAS.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
That is a nice snafu, shame about the weight. I can attest to the difficulty of dealing with heavy chassis as well; granted those were filled with drives though.

I'm also willing to help lift or rack it with you if you're somewhere close.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
It has been 48 hours+ and I have not heard back from the seller.

@Dawg10 and @ReturnedSword Thank you for the generous offer. Removing every component allowed me to lift it without any strain.

@Patrick gutting everything made a huge difference. I can pickup the unit by myself without any strain.

Now it is damn the STH.. after reading this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/hp-dl325-epyc-24-core-7402p-64gb-sas-1611.26637/ I am thinking about keeping the 847 and ordering a HP server. The 847 is brand new, SAS3 backplane, JBOD controller included, and rails. The 846 was going to be more storage than I needed at 24 bays. The form factor is the same 4U. I just need to order a SAS3 external controller and a 10GB FlexLOM.

Reactions: mmo

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
It has been 48 hours+ and I have not heard back from the seller.

@Dawg10 and @ReturnedSword Thank you for the generous offer. Removing every component allowed me to lift it without any strain.

@Patrick gutting everything made a huge difference. I can pickup the unit by myself without any strain.

Now it is damn the STH.. after reading this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/hp-dl325-epyc-24-core-7402p-64gb-sas-1611.26637/ I am thinking about keeping the 847 and ordering a HP server. The 847 is brand new, SAS3 backplane, JBOD controller included, and rails. The 846 was going to be more storage than I needed at 24 bays. The form factor is the same 4U. I just need to order a SAS3 external controller and a 10GB FlexLOM.

I dont know what you paid for it, but if you look on ebay now, the 847 you got is damn expensive :)

-j