Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CED6688

Dec 4, 2019
Yes. 10gbe.

Can also confirm that when using RJ45 10gbe SFP+ modules to connect two nodes over a CAT6 stretch, the performance is practically the same as between two nodes connected via 0.5m DAC cable on the same switch. I've used both the HiFiber and Fibay Cisco (Mikrotik compatible) modules. I purchased both types from Amazon. I like the Fibay ones better, but they cost a little more. Keep in mind that in any switch these modules get very hot.

In theory, they only work at 30m, but my run is both a bit longer than this *and* traverses a punch-down block in a closet rather than being directly end-to-end (this is not typically recommended...I had planned to do that temporarily until I ran fiber, but since it works I've not been motivated to "fix" this). Some iperf3 results, etc... below.

Two nodes via RJ45 modules on both ends of a CAT6 run:
Code:
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  11.4 GBytes  9.81 Gbits/sec  174             sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  11.4 GBytes  9.80 Gbits/sec                  receiver
Two similar nodes connected via 0.5m DAC to a single ICX6450:
Code:
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  11.4 GBytes  9.81 Gbits/sec    0             sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  11.4 GBytes  9.81 Gbits/sec                  receiver
Various info from the ICX6450 when using the FIBAY Cisco-compatible module:
Code:
SSH@icx6450(config)#show interfaces eth 1/2/1
10GigabitEthernet1/2/1 is up, line protocol is up
  Port up for 16 hour(s) 40 minute(s) 22 second(s)
  Hardware is 10GigabitEthernet, address is cc4e.2426.9cc0 (bia cc4e.2426.9cd9)
  Configured speed 10Gbit, actual 10Gbit, configured duplex fdx, actual fdx
  Member of 8 L2 VLANs, port is dual mode in Vlan 1, port state is FORWARDING
... etc...

SSH@icx6450(config)#show media eth 1/2/1
Port   1/2/1: Type  : 10GE SR 300m ((SFP+))
         Vendor: OEM                  Version: A
         Part# : 10G-SFP-T-CI        Serial#: FB1909170104

klui

Feb 3, 2019
do these brocades work with any 10gbe rj45?
uhhh, you mean 10gbe rj45 modules I hope? the context implies that but the actual post is...ambiguous when you don't read context accurately, like me :/
Work vs support mean different things. @fohdeesha has indicated the optics will work but you may not be able to retrieve certain attributes if they're not Brocade-branded.

And whenever I see "SFP+" I automatically take that to mean 10G and not "SFP" 1G.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
So, I have 2 Ruckus R720 APs connected to my ICX6610 switch via the 2.5gbps ethernet port on the APs. Since the ICX6610 does not have a 2.5gbps port, would I get the full capababilities of the APs? When I do a "show inline power" command on the switch, I am getting 802.3at PoE+.
However, according to the Ruckus R720 datasheet (https://a030f85c1e25003d7609-b98377...cf2.rackcdn.com/datasheets/ds-ruckus-r720.pdf), I need PoH/UPoE to get the full capability of the switch. I assume thos means I need a 2.5gbps port on my switch.

Would this explain why I'm not getting great upload/download (75/175) performance from this AP?

In addition, do you recommend getting a second switch that has 2.5gbps ports to handle the APs?

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Unlikely, although that sheet doesn't tally with my understanding either.
I ran my R710s, R720s & R730's from a 1gbit 802.3at port and also used the USB port with bluetooth beacons. Make sure you have the AP set to 802.3at as in the full controller setup I had to enforce this as it would revert to 802.3af.
Do you have another source of power you could validate with?
Are you bottlenecked if you connect a laptop to the other RJ45 port?
Do you have any wifi performance analysis hardware available?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I ran my R710s, R720s & R730's from a 1gbit 802.3at port and also used the USB port with bluetooth beacons. Make sure you have the AP set to 802.3at as in the full controller setup I had to enforce this as it would revert to 802.3af.
Maybe the link is to an old datasheet for the R720.

I am running the unleashed version. No Zone Director controller. Where would you set the AP to use 802.3at? I would assume if the switch is showing 802.3at as the power source, the AP is set to 802.3at.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Ok.. I looks like the power-mode is set to auto. I will set it to 802.3at.

Welcome to Ruckus Unleashed Network Command Line Interface
ruckus> enable
ruckus# ap-mode
You have all rights in this mode.
ruckus(ap-mode)# get power-mode
PoE Configured Mode : Auto
Power Consumption Status : 802.3at Switch/Injector
OK
ruckus(ap-mode)#

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Ok.. I looks like the power-mode is set to auto. I will set it to 802.3at.

Welcome to Ruckus Unleashed Network Command Line Interface
ruckus> enable
ruckus# ap-mode
You have all rights in this mode.
ruckus(ap-mode)# get power-mode
PoE Configured Mode : Auto
Power Consumption Status : 802.3at Switch/Injector
OK
ruckus(ap-mode)#
In the unleashed mode, I can only change the power-mode using CLI on the Master AP. It will not allow me to make this change on the Slave APs. I can only execute show commands in the Slave APs.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
does it solve the problem on the master? if so, we can figure out how to provide the command to the slaves.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
does it solve the problem on the master? if so, we can figure out how to provide the command to the slaves.
I am definitely getting better download performance. The upload speed is still underperforming. I am using the Ruckus SpeedFlex app on my iPhone.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I was able to disconnect the Master and the Slave member became the Master AP. I was then able to set the power-mode of the AP.

ronclark

Dec 6, 2019
My ICX6610 showed up early this morning in fact. to bad it has rev A Power supplies, its really clean and not damage. After its booted up i am pleased i cant hear it over my R710's with @fohdeesha guide i cant believe how easy it was up to update. Thanks a bunch.
Now i have to pull out my old switch and get my networking cleaned up and install the new switch

Reactions: fohdeesha

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Looking for comments - was on the phone with Ruckus pre-sales this week...

BOM';ing out a 7250 stack with hw/sw support.

I was told that I *may* be denied support if I use any other passive DAC's besides those sold by Ruckus.
Can anyone confirm if they have been told the same thing?
Can anyone confirm being denied support for using a passive DAC other than those sold by Ruckus?

I have a REALLY dense configuration I'm working on and 1m DAC's are too much. .5m would be ideal.

I have not yet seen the support agreement language though I have asked.

TIA.

artlessknave

Mar 16, 2017
denied support ...DAC's besides those sold by Ruckus. TIA.
cisco, for example, will absolutely deny support if you have anything non-cisco, even if probably its unrelated to your problem (if you have a non cisco sfp and your fans are dead, you will probably be told to replace the sfp before they will do anything). most companies will do that for anything they haven't confirmed, because it's just too much work to support every configuration ever. usually that's in their support agreement language. not only does it mean easier for them to support, it also removes their liability if something goes wrong with hardware they do not support

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
cisco, for example, will absolutely deny support if you have anything non-cisco, even if probably its unrelated to your problem...
Thanks yes I've heard that from Cisco sales, never have I ever experienced it from the support side though granted I was only dealing F/O and not Passive DAC and I was probably using Cisco Trans...

Am just wondering if this is something new with the recent ownership shifts brocade->ruckus->arris->comscope

am thinking maybe I purchase a handful for testing if there is an issue and then the rest from fs.com and go that route.

artlessknave

Mar 16, 2017
both the ICX6610 and ICX6450..and ..Mikrotik (own CRS305, CRS309, and RB4011)
do you have any particular preference between these? I like the extra ports + ~200$ less + dual PSU on the 6610, but they are huge, louder than my purpose should need, and use like 2-3 times the power of the mikros, so I cant really make up my mind. not using sfp 10gbe rj45 would have excluded the brocades but that seems not true. will the brocade do in between speeds like 1.25,2.5,5 gbe on a 10gbe rj45? do the mikro?

artlessknave

Mar 16, 2017
am thinking maybe I purchase a handful for testing if there is an issue and then the rest from fs.com and go that route.
I would be cautious with that until you are sure what any agreement actually says. it could easily say that you void the whole agreement by using anything not supported, instead of just not getting support until removed.
I'm pretty sure that most of us here in these forums are not working with agreements, being mostly used EoL hardware, so when we try stuff there isn't risk of loosing support because there is no support.

Reactions: T_Minus and itronin