IPMI under Windows

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I have a Supermicro motherboard and from time to time (like, rarely, but still), I need to configure the fans (as in the treshholds, not fan profiles).
The server runs ESXI, so there is no direct access to the IPMI device.

Does anyone know about any Windows program that would let me configure all this remotely, ideally with a GUI?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
From another system you can access SuperMIcro IPMI via Web GUI.
IPMIView is a GUI Windows based Software Software Download
Search it though there's issues with it running on certain versions of OS's, certain versions of needed software, etc.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
My bad, I read that again and see you specifically said NOT FAN profiles ;) Sorry

With ESXI you can SSH into it and do it that way?

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I thought I could, but ESXi doesn't have any builtin IMPI commands, so I'm not sure.
I don't think there's a GUI-based program for what I need and that's fine (despite that being my preference, being a Windows guy), but what I found thus far doesn't seem to work either. The IPMICFG utility from Supermicro doesn't seem to be meant for remote access, and SMCIPMITool is a few hundreds of MBs huge behemoth with hundreds of pages worth of documentation I immediatelly got lost in.

There's IPMIUtil from Sourceforge, but I don't trust Sourceforge one bit, and this seems to be several years old as well.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I thought I could, but ESXi doesn't have any builtin IMPI commands, so I'm not sure.
I don't think there's a GUI-based program for what I need and that's fine (despite that being my preference, being a Windows guy), but what I found thus far doesn't seem to work either. The IPMICFG utility from Supermicro doesn't seem to be meant for remote access, and SMCIPMITool is a few hundreds of MBs huge behemoth with hundreds of pages worth of documentation I immediatelly got lost in.

There's IPMIUtil from Sourceforge, but I don't trust Sourceforge one bit, and this seems to be several years old as well.
I haven't done this myself in awhile but I thought you needed to enable sSH onthe ESXI host and use ipmi command line to change fan speed. You most def. should be able to SSH to your ESXI host and work direct.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
Of course I can SSH in there, but there are no IPMI commands available. The functionality simply doesn't exist.
Someone more knowledgeable could chime in I guess.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I have _just_ managed to google that up, heh.
It seems to be a super old version of IPMITool though, isn't it? Not like it matters I guess, but...