HOT HGST HUSMM8040's for $99, qty avail.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
does anyone know where to download the latest firmware for these SSDs?
I'd be curious to know this, as well as I have had a difficult time even researching these specific variants. You can see that there are simply IBM stickers plastered on top of the original and they work and report full details under ESXi 6.5U1 in my Cisco UCS-C240-M3S, but if I'm finally going to be honest with myself, they are total overkill and I've been getting by fine on cheapo 500GB Samsung EVOs for the most part, which are more in line with the massive amount of learning I have ahead of me. Mine are listed as:
  • Product ID: HSVW800
  • Vendor: IBM-SSG
  • Drive Firmware: B204

Also, as an aside -- not to get too off topic, but how well have these drives held their value on the secondhand market? I've got some IBM branded HUSMM1680's (800GB x2) i purchased late in 2017 and quickly realized they were way more serious drives than I needed for my little lab which is constantly being built, broken, rebuilt as part of a perpetual learning process, so I've mostly kept them sitting idle as I haven't wanted to put a ton of worthless power cycles on the drives, despite knowing they'll almost certainly outlive me. Originally paid liek $295/ea for this pair (plus shipping), which wasn't great, but also not terrible as these were a lot harder to come by back pre-NVMe being so common and affordable in those days.

The original eBay seller had them listed as:
> HGST Hitachi 800Gb 2.5" SAS 12Gb eMLC SSD Hard Drive SSD1600MM - 12G
DOM: 17 June, 2016
Model: HUSMM1680ASS201

(Please ignore the cat hair / dustballs everywhere. I promise my machines don't sit on the ground.)

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
but how well have these drives held their value on the secondhand market?
Value or price? :D

I paid for 200gb hgst husmm drives one year ago about 200€ each, now I got 2 more for 75€ each. (price)

From performance view these devices are still great if you don't need extrem iops @ low queue depths (value)

Reactions: T_Minus

james23

Nov 18, 2014
yea, 800gb HUSMM1680ASS201 at 150$ each is a GREAT price, even now. if you bought them at that price a few years ago, that was a amazing good buy.

ie one drive sold on ebay a few days ago for 332$ shipped. (and was an ibm oem). however that was the only sale (bc at that price most ppl would buy nvme enterprise).

hell pm me and ill buy them from you if you looking to sell. fyi those are about some of the best of the hgst SAS SSDs out there (sans nvme ofcourse)- so 1- they prob are overkill for your needs, 2- if u think u will ever need high performance, then keep them (or sell for nvme, but prob just keep these is easier)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
yea, 800gb HUSMM1680ASS201 at 150$ each is a GREAT price, even now. if you bought them at that price a few years ago, that was a amazing good buy.

ie one drive sold on ebay a few days ago for 332$ shipped. (and was an ibm oem). however that was the only sale (bc at that price most ppl would buy nvme enterprise).

hell pm me and ill buy them from you if you looking to sell. fyi those are about some of the best of the hgst SAS SSDs out there (sans nvme ofcourse)- so 1- they prob are overkill for your needs, 2- if u think u will ever need high performance, then keep them (or sell for nvme, but prob just keep these is easier)
Ironically this is part of "ebay" :) when it comes to OEM vs. retail parts it seems.

Most of us for hobby\home prefer retail, but often we don't care... but when someone is looking for a "replacement part" that's not sold anymore, they will buy the OEM Part # they're replacing, and thus often OEM prices on items are held high, and don't sell fast, but when they do they often get top dollar :D

Obv. this isn't a rule set in stone, but it's def. something I notice with OEM vs Retail parts on ebay, and why often the retial\new part is cheaper BIN than what people will pay for specific OEM part #s :)

I could use 4x 800GB SAS3 or larger capacity HGST if anyone has any for sale too :)
It's a bit funny buying SAS3 for the slower storage, ha ha..