Supermicro H11SSL-NC Rev 2 - Flash onboard SAS3008 to IT Mode?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
In the comments for the STH Supermicro H11SSL-NC Rev. 2 review, there is a post about not being able to flash the onboard SAS3008 from IR to IT mode. Can anyone confirm if they have been able to flash it to IT mode and if it required a different procedure than is typically used? Looking into a new FreeNAS build and IT mode is essential for a storage server.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Update: got "cannot flash it firmware over ir firmware" using sas3flash in DOS mode...

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Nope

Are you using the UEFI shell?

DOS mode tool. This is what worked for me, in case someone else has the same issue (it is documented in the Broadcom K/B and in several blog posts out there, also the STH article but not mentioning the error):

- Erase flash with the -o -e 6 or -o -e 7 options
- Flash IT firmware, reboot.
- Controller will be in faulted state, don't panic. Reflash the firmware this time with the BIOS files as well (mp3sas.rom and the UEFI signed one).
- Reset the SAS address back to original.
- Reboot

That did it for me. I was able to get into the config tool just fine, and set some sane spindown + IO wait delays (these are a PITA if using WD Reds).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: ksnell and TXAG26

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
For anyone interested I'll be selling my board with the HBA already flashed to IT mode next week.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
You upgrading from your 7302p already? What are you replacing the H11SSL-NC with?
I wasnt planning to upgrade the 7302p but might jump to a 7402p as the price on them is very good right now. Switching to the Asrock Rack EPYCD8 board for the 4 native nvme ports. The onboard HBA on the NC is wasted for me since I'm using an external SAS card to connect to DAS boxes.

Reactions: Jiovani

Jiovani

Jun 10, 2018
I wasnt planning to upgrade the 7302p but might jump to a 7402p as the price on them is very good right now. Switching to the Asrock Rack EPYCD8 board for the 4 native nvme ports. The onboard HBA on the NC is wasted for me since I'm using an external SAS card to connect to DAS boxes.
Thanks for the reply. Totally understand about the HBA on that NC board. I am always following your builds on here, enjoy seeing the progress from your 4 node down to the AiO box you have now. I am looking to build something very similar to yours sometime next year. I have a bunch of SC846 and SC836 chassis that have been sitting empty in my closet for the past few years. Finishing grad school in May, then I can pick my hobbies back up and resume my life :) Sorry for the off-topic thread hijack.