Do you have to use a cache tier with vSAN?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Bit silly right but yes that’s the way it is.
Remember was developed before NVMe disks were available.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
Bit silly right but yes that’s the way it is.
Remember was developed before NVMe disks were available.
Appreciate any feedback. I am trying to keep my lab costs as low as possible. I am looking for anywhere I can lessen the number of parts without impacting performance too much.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Can reduce the size of the disk. Smaller size usually = less performance though.
It’s a pretty good minimal config for a modern cluster.
Using older SAS SSD in a bigger chassis for vSAN can make cheaper options I am sure but the appeal of that config is size, power consumption, performance and reasonable cost.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Maybe you can partition NVMe to put the cache and data on the same device ? I read somebody else has done that.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Maybe you can partition NVMe to put the cache and data on the same device ? I read somebody else has done that.
I don't think that will work as vSan wants to use the whole disk - it won't accept pre-partitioned disks.

Also bear in mind that with an All Flash setup your cache drive will decide your write performance while the capacity drive will decide your read performance.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I don't think that will work as vSan wants to use the whole disk - it won't accept pre-partitioned disks.

Also bear in mind that with an All Flash setup your cache drive will decide your write performance while the capacity drive will decide your read performance.
sorry I should have said namespace rather than partition. NVMe namespaces ‘should’ appear as separate disks to vSAN
Intel SSD as I know don’t support multi-namespace but some others like HGST do...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
That might work if you can set these up at device or bios level - but thats going to need hardware thats capable of it which might defeat the idea of cheap (no idea which would, couldnt find much on a quick search)

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
vSAN is a software raid solution, it works the similar to FreeNAS, unRAID or the like with JBOD.
I don't believe you can split a drive for SSD and Data, if you could make it work, it would wreck any standardization hope of support/troubleshooting, not recommended.

You can however use a configuration edit to 'mark' drives as SSD to trick it into thinking it has them.

Reactions: Gunnyp

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
sorry I should have said namespace rather than partition. NVMe namespaces ‘should’ appear as separate disks to vSAN
Intel SSD as I know don’t support multi-namespace but some others like HGST do...
NVME disks are hit/miss for namespace support. (M.2 do not, some newer intel do)

I'm currently have 3x ESXI hosts with 1x NVME 1725b spit into 5 name spaces each, so I have 1x 600gb Cache, and 4x 590GB capacity drives. VSAN see's it fairly easily.

VMware vSAN + NVMe namespace magic: Split 1 SSD into 24 devices for great storage performance