Compact Micro-ATX case

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I have a small home server built into Bitfenix Phenom M case. It serves the purpose, but the build quality (aside from the frame or something) is nothing short of horrible, cable management is impossible, and generally I shouldn't had bought it.
I need something of similar size, but better. I only need room for three disks, there will never be more.
I was looking at Fractal Design Node 804 and while it's a viable option, it's a bit too large (but acceptably so if needed) and it was way too many disk slots.

Is there something inbetween of these two maybe?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
That's one sexy case. 80mm fans though, that's bad
The entire system with 4 HD , 2 SSD , xeon-d is very quiet.
I have the same case sitting next to my desk, it is "almost" silent.

I love this case,
only things is missing: cheap 14TB HD.
4 x 14 TB = 56TB in a small package would be great.

Add: I look, the fan is 120mm

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I was referring to the Supermicro chassis.:confused:

Another reason I like the SM mini tower was the price.
Newegg had a sale of the SM chassis for approx $80 each.
I picked 4 of chassis for a good price.

Alexdi

Dec 7, 2012
That Phenom M was my server case until two days ago. Crammed 6 drives into it. I thought the build quality was decent, but it was totally inapropos for that configuration. For ease of building and heat management, I'm partial to cube cases with an upward-facing motherboard layout. My desktop machine is an Antec ISK600M. Lackluster build quality, but it's great to be able to hide all the drives and cables below. Thermaltake's Level 20 looks like a higher-quality alternative.

Last edited:

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
The Phenom has horrible quality of the "small stuff". And now that I needed to do some adjustments, I realized the case was way too small and maybe not very well thought out to the point of being pain in the ass.
But I don't want to use any tower variations because the server is quite visible in the living room.
DSC_0022.JPG

If only the Node 804 was at least being made in white...

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I'm watching a review of sorts of the Styx, and what the hell? How can anyone design a case where you have to use screws to remove the side panels? What is this, 1994?

nerdalertdk

Fleet Admiral
Mar 9, 2017
::1
I'm watching a review of sorts of the Styx, and what the hell? How can anyone design a case where you have to use screws to remove the side panels? What is this, 1994?
Well the case is from 2015, and if you are honest about how often do you have the to take the side off.
With that said I did replace mine with some ebay thumbscrews

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I guess I am too used to quick release systems I've had maybe since ten years ago.
It's a really beautiful case overall, but this is just bizarre.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
To all necro wizards around. Crazy bang for buck for new case was thermaltake versa h17 for microATX. Was available brand new until recently on amazon jp for something like 30 us units. It even has a fan. Great for low-end system that doent have crazy cooling needs. Has space for cable management behind the board, space for 2 disks i belive. Only opened it once and dont have a clear memory of that but what i do remember is i was shocked how good it was for its price.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
This is an incredible resource for anyone case shopping - SFF Master List

Each Sheet has pre-defined Filters (not available on mobile). How to find them:
1. Go to Data
2. Select Filter views
3. Select a pre-defined filter
To create a custom filter. Select "Create a new temporary filter view" under Filter views and customise it