sub domain and dns router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tr3s

Oct 23, 2019
Hey everyone I could use some guidance.

Before I get to my question I figure it's good to explain my current set up so everything makes sense.
I have att uverse internet and TV. The uverse box does not allow the dns to be changed and all att cable boxes are required to be on 192.168.1.XXX and use att's dns. From the wall my network flow is:
att router/modem -> Cisco sg200 -> all network devices on the second floor. Then from the sg200 it splits down stairs to an unmanaged switch for the downstairs network. I only have 1 line downstairs.

Connected directly to the sg200 is my file server and house computers. I do not have especially fast internet (nothing even close to 1Gbs) but I do transfer large files from the computers to the server quite often and I usually Hoover around 100 MBs during those transfers.

In the past I've really wanted to get a pfsense box and have spent a decently large amount of time trying to figure out a solution but frankly, having a pfsense box after the att box is just a nightmare and trying to do vlans with only one line downstairs is an equal nightmare. So I gave up.

This brings me to why I'm posting. I have a pihole on the network but because I can't change my dns on the att router I'm stuck manually changing it on each device.

What I want is a good quality router/switch/whatever that will allow me to change the dns to the pihole for everything behind it. I don't care if it creates a subdomain/clan as long as communication between the domains is possible and just as fast. The idea would be something like:
Att router -> unmanaged switch -> split for upstairs/downstairs -> then from there essentially have 2 networks both upstairs and downstairs. Example: 192.168.1 for the TV's, 192.168.10 for upstairs and 192.168.20 for downstairs.

What device would you recommend to do this? I realize I would need to buy two of them. One for upstairs and another downstairs and that's fine.

What do you guys/gals think? Any suggestions or better ideas?

Thanks for reading/helping!

sash

Nov 22, 2019
Is it possible to switch ATT router into a bridge mode so you can have an external IP address? This would be the ideal situation. You will need to buy a router and do what you please. Another solution would be to do a double net, where you have your own router behind your ISP's router. You can tell your router to use any external DNS you want.

Tr3s

Oct 23, 2019
Is it possible to switch ATT router into a bridge mode so you can have an external IP address? This would be the ideal situation. You will need to buy a router and do what you please. Another solution would be to do a double net, where you have your own router behind your ISP's router. You can tell your router to use any external DNS you want.
Hey sash, thanks for getting back to me.

Unfortunately att uverse does not let you do a bridge mode without breaking the iptv. But I've thought about this hard since I posted and think I came up with a solution. The problem with what I asked for before is that it would create 2 different domains that wouldn't be able to communicate without going overly complicated with layer 3 bs. The simpler solution is as you suggested and do a single double net.

What I think will work is doing a powerline adapter downstairs too get the 192.168.1 domain to the cable boxes. Then buy a wireless router and do a double net for the rest of the network. I didn't want to do a EOP but when I realized it would only be used for the cable boxes I was ok with it.

What do you think?

Is there a wireless router you would recommend that can do true 1GBs switch, allow for custom dns, and if possible allow for either guest isolated wifi or port isolation for a guest network?

Thanks again!

sash

Nov 22, 2019
Not sure why you need to split your internal network like you describe. I am not familiar with ATT hardware and service. I have PON fiber at home with public/routable IPs so I can what IPTV multicast of my choosing. Is it not possible to put your own router behind ATT's one and run everything through it?

Tr3s

Oct 23, 2019
Not sure why you need to split your internal network like you describe. I am not familiar with ATT hardware and service. I have PON fiber at home with public/routable IPs so I can what IPTV multicast of my choosing. Is it not possible to put your own router behind ATT's one and run everything through it?
Yes I can put everything behind it except the cable boxes. They must be on the 192.188.1.XXX domain and they must use the att uverse or they won't work. Which is why all of this is such a headache. I need to run to separate networks essentially one for thetTV cable boxes and one for everything else. Theyhave wireless boxes but I've had allot of issues with them. Plus I prefer hard lines when possible.

Is there a tier you would recommend?