12TB Easystore USB HDDs @ BestBuy $180

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
I'm not sure about the sustained transfer speed of the Red Pros at the spindle edge (i.e. the 7.2K drives) vs normal Reds (i.e. the 5.4K drives), but the Reds have a sustained transfer speed of about 230 MBps give or take at the spindle edge. The 7.2K drives probably manage about 20-30 MBps higher, at the cost of more heat.

Reactions: Samir and frogtech

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Is there any reason to be concerned over the 5400/5900 RPM spindle speed of these supposed internal Reds versus say standard 7200 drives? I have a need for many of these and I would use some for a primary unRAID storage server(plex/media/bulk storage) and some as a backup target in ZFS running in striped/mirrored vdevs.
Unless you need really high performance it doesn't matter much, the WD red are 5400 also, its the red pro that are 7200. Its only about 20MB/s difference per drive, which is nice to have but not for the cost IMO.

You can still have a 10gb lane saturating array with a handful of these with ZFS.

I’m using 8 of these disks (+ 2 parity) in unraid currently with no performance issues with half a dozen 1080p streams at a time.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
For those outside the US, the 12TBs are on BB's eBay which allows you to use forwarders.
I'm slightly annoyed as I already stocked up on a 12x8TBs. I might have to dump them on some clueless locals a week after the sales end.
Also trying to decide if I should add another $10 for the 12TB MyBooks instead (extra 1 year warranty). Feeling really uneasy about just 2 years of warranty on such a large drive.

Rain

May 13, 2013
I don't think anyone ever thought they were SMR, did they? This is HGST/WD afterall, not Seagate...
Someone asked WD if the 12TB easystores were SMR and WD's response was neither a "yes" or a "no" and instead linked the Product Overview PDF for the easystore product line. This lead many to wrongfully assume the drives were indeed SMR and WD was trying to hide it.

WD definitely sells SMR drives, though. From what I've heard/read, WD's implementation is better than Seagate's as well because it supports TRIM. This allows "normal speed" re-writes to deleted regions. Still not perfect, but for CoW file systems and/or write-few-read-many applications, I'd certainly use WD's SMR drives if the cost difference makes sense.

Reactions: Samir

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Do CM orders usually take this long to ship? My EasyStores from the BB eBay store on CM haven't shipped yet. The ones I ordered during the pre-sale got shipped NBD.

Reactions: Samir

phl

Sep 4, 2019
For those outside the US, the 12TBs are on BB's eBay which allows you to use forwarders.
I'm slightly annoyed as I already stocked up on a 12x8TBs. I might have to dump them on some clueless locals a week after the sales end.
Also trying to decide if I should add another $10 for the 12TB MyBooks instead (extra 1 year warranty). Feeling really uneasy about just 2 years of warranty on such a large drive.
@josh : Do you have a link to the EBay BB store ? Dumb as I am, I Don't find it

Thx