Windows Storage Spaces

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Shadowsong

Dec 3, 2019
Hi everyone, i'm looking for a bit of advice on Windows Storage Spaces, if my planned setup is achiveable and some guidance on how to set it up, specifically the powershell I will need.

The storage setup -
  • Windows Server 2019
  • 6 x 3TB HDDs
  • 3 x 500GB SSD's
  • 1 x 500GB PCI SSD
The plan -

• Single storage space including all of the disks (want to use tiering)
  • 1x 400GB SSD-Only Virtual Disk Striped and formatted in ReHS (For VMs)
  • 1x 8TB HDD/SSD Virtual Disk Parity and formatted in ReHS (For video editing files, pictures, ISO's etc)
  • 1x #TB HDD/SSD Virtual Disk Parity and formatted in NTFS (For files not supported by ReHS)
So the first question is if you think that seems like it will be possible? If so do you have any recomendations for improvements/optimizations, specifically around columns (not sure what to set!) and if parity would be suitable for HDD/SSD tiering? Can different file systems be used across the same storage pool?

Thanks!

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
You should let the column count to automatic, I found that if you set it to manual, you may not able to get advantage of the new disks but then again I only created simple or redundant

You can have as many disks as you want on a storage space as long as there is space.

I don't know if you can mix and match different drives types in the same pool. I always used storage-spaces for homogeneous systems. It would be actually good to get some insight on this. There is a pretty good overview here:

Storage Spaces Direct overview

Yet, I don't know if the documentation here is applicable to standalone server scenarios.