Rosewill RSV-L4411 Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH

The Rosewill RSV-L4411 is a 12 bay hot-swap server chassis. It has the standard 7 expansion slots, two 80mm fans, and 3 120mm fans mounted on the hot-swap drive bays.

It supports 12″ x 13″ E-ATX; 12″ x 9.6″ ATX, 11.2″ x 8.2″ Mini-ATX and Mini-ITX motherboards.

At 23 lbs and 25″ x 16.8″ x 7.0″, it is not difficult to work with, and is even fairly light when taking into consideration that it is a 4u chassis.

Since the purchase of this server chassis from Newegg on CyberMonday, it has been discontinued. I am a little disappointed by this, and hope that Newegg can honor the warranty.

Specifications:

Chassis Type: Rackmount
Color: Black
Case Material: Metal/ Steel, 1.0 mm thickness
Motherboard Compatibility: 12" x 13" E-ATX; 12" x 9.6" ATX, 11.2" x 8.2" Mini-ATX and below
Form Factor: 4U

Expansion:
Hot-Swap Drive Bays: 12 x 3.5"/2.5" SATA
Expansion Slots: 7
Front Ports: 2 x USB 2.0

Cooling System:
80mm Fans: 2 max / 2 included
120mm Fans: 3 max / 3 included

Dimensions: 25" x 16.8" x 7.0"
Weight: Net Weight: 23.1 lbs.

Package Contents: Keys, Screws, 12x SATAIII 18" cables, Chassis

The Chassis:

The chassis is made of 1mm steel and has a sturdy feel to it. There are some sharp edges along the ATX back plate, and around the support bar mounts, but Rosewill did make an effort to reduce the sharp edges, and I only found these two gotchas.

The door has two nice features. First is the filter in the door that blocks dust. This can be cleaned with the removal of two screws on the inside of the door. The second is that the door moves up and down with a bit of resistance, so that it will stay in place where you put it, and will not slam open, marring the finish.

The finish is black and well done. All the screws that came with the case are black as well, which I found to be a nice touch. This is a nice looking chassis.

The handles for sliding it in and out of a rack had one pleasant surprise, the inside of the handles are padded with neoprene, which I found to be nice touch.

Frontview

Rearview

The Drive Bays:

There are four SATA connectors per bay attached to drive bay has a 120mm Rosewill fan that is surprisingly quite and moves quite a bit of air.

Inside the drive bay, you see the backplane with the standard SATA and Power Connectors.

One annoying feature about the hot-swap drive bays is that the LED’s stay on during activity, and dim or turn off completely when the disks are getting hit hard. I find this to be backwards!

The Drive Cages:

This is where some disappointments arise. The drive cages are made entirely of injection molded plastic. While the cages are not necessarily flimsy, they have a cheap feel to them, and do not slide into the drive bays easily. Two of the 12 cages with disks in them needed more than average help for them to seat properly with the backplane.

Installation:

I removed the support bar before installing the Supermicro X9SCM-F motherboard and components. Installing all the components was a breeze. There is plenty of room to mount everything, and route cables.

With two dual port NIC’s and two RAID controllers, everything fits nicely, and managing the cables was a cinch.

Conclusion:

The verdict for this chassis is pretty straight forward. It is not a bad chassis at all, I would even call it a nice chassis.
I have this server in my office about two feet from me, and it is VERY quiet. So quiet that I can not hear it over the drone of my gaming machine.
Bang for the buck, you get (got) a lot for your money. Regularly priced at $179.99 USD, I would call it inexpensive. For $149.99 USD, I call it a steal. The three four disk Hot-Swap Bays are probably worth that alone, even though they were sort of a disappointment. The big disappointment is that Newegg discontinued this chassis.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Let me look at this one. I may also do a post an link to this page. Thinking about using this as an experiment.

michaeld

Oct 10, 2012
It's a real shame Newegg discontinued this chassis! IMO, it's definitely worth the money. The fact that the drive cages come with 120mm fans is really nice. Those fans plus the PS fan should be all you need to keep a file server cooled. I'm looking for something like this but don't need the 20 or 24 bays that the Norco cases come with. I happen to own a few breakout cables, so the 3 backplanes having discreet SATA connectors wouldn't be an issue for me. Wonder if I can find this chassis somewhere else? Hmm. Thanks for posting this.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hmmm... minor setback for the review. Also looks like the iStarUSA D-300-PFS-DE3BL is discontinued.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I also own an iStarUSA D-416. Newegg still stocks those. This was my previous storage chassis that I built with the 2x SuperMicro 5 disk hotswap cages. Want me to do a review on that?

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I also own an iStarUSA D-416. Newegg still stocks those. This was my previous storage chassis that I built with the 2x SuperMicro 5 disk hotswap cages. Want me to do a review on that?
I would be interested even if just another forum review.

dwm

Dec 9, 2012
Michigan
Worth noting that this enclosure as shipped is essentially unusable with rack rails. I had to remove the handles and remove significant amounts of the aluminum where the brackets attach to the sides of the enclosure to make it work with the Rosewill RSV-R26LX rails. Without doing this, it won't sit flush in a rack, and I don't mean 1/2"... we're talking more than an inch. It's possible it'll work with other rails, I didn't try others (I don't have any spares, all my others are in use).

Also worth noting that due to the location of the rail holes in the enclosure, it'll consume 5U of rack space instead of 4U if used with the Rosewill RSV-R26LX rails. Given these issues, I'd advise just putting it on a sliding rack shelf. I got mine to work, but it wasn't easy.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Picked up a Rosewill RSV-L4312 - 4U Rackmount Server Case or Chassis, 12 x SATA / SAS Hot-swap Drives
from Newegg last week. Price was $110 free shipping.

I am using a short depth 8 disk 4u case currently.
Going to build another storage server for the upcoming 4K media files.

Hopefully

Reactions: sboesch and T_Minus

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
Picked up a Rosewill RSV-L4312 - 4U Rackmount Server Case or Chassis, 12 x SATA / SAS Hot-swap Drives
from Newegg last week. Price was $110 free shipping.

I am using a short depth 8 disk 4u case currently.
Going to build another storage server for the upcoming 4K media files.

Hopefully
I saw them on sale, surprisingly, this chassis has held up perfectly, even the included Rosewill fans are still fine.