8TB Easystore USB HDDs @ BestBuy/eBay $120

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
5$ more for a flash drive, eh
still a good price though
Considering these are MyBooks which usually have a higher premium for unknown reasons (probably the hardware encryption) and the flash drive being decently large, seems like at least a $20 value over the other?

josh

Oct 21, 2013

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I think the mybook does have a 3y warranty and automated backup features (plus the encryption you already mentioned) so maybe that?

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I think the mybook does have a 3y warranty and automated backup features (plus the encryption you already mentioned) so maybe that?
3y warranty at the same price seems like a much better deal then no?
Edit: I've looked at it seems like the MyBooks have better drives in them. EZAZ which are supposedly relabelled He10s vs the EMAZs in the EasyStores/Elements.
Question is, what happens if I mix them into my array of Elements

Last edited:

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
IRRC the mybooks are a little more difficult to shuck without damaging the casing and WD often denies the warranty if its not back in the enclosure. So all depends on your use case or how good you are at removing them.
I've done almost two dozen of the easystores those are a cake walk to shuck, haven't tried any of the mybooks.

Both the EZAZ and EMAZ are relabeled HE10s Some of the easy/element come with EZAZ models (though it is most common to get the EMAZ), there should be no difference in array mixing depending on what you're using, they are all the same size.

Here's what my EMAZ shows in unraid:

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
Are you shucking? I hope it wasn't returned with a blue drive etc. May want to check.
Wow, busy holidays! Hope everyone in the States had a great Thanksgiving!

To answer the question, no I'm not shucking. I'm actually using the drive as is plugged into my home workstation. It's been a great veeam backup location and has all my proxmox vms backed up nicely so far.

I did an intial inspection and it looks like one of the little tabs broke loose in shipping. It was packaged pretty poorly, directly in a larger box without any additional padding. So, it most likely slid around a lot.

Other than that, it is definitely new. I'm going to use it as is (incase I do need to warranty it) and hope for the best.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX

To answer the question, no I'm not shucking. I'm actually using the drive as is plugged into my home workstation. It's been a great veeam backup location and has all my proxmox vms backed up nicely so far.

I did an intial inspection and it looks like one of the little tabs broke loose in shipping. It was packaged pretty poorly, directly in a larger box without any additional padding. So, it most likely slid around a lot.

Other than that, it is definitely new. I'm going to use it as is (incase I do need to warranty it) and hope for the best.
Best of luck if you have a warranty issue, you gotta send it back to the states to facilitate that.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Best of luck if you have a warranty issue, you gotta send it back to the states to facilitate that.
I'm pretty sure you can send it to your local WD. The official stance from WD (may or may not be outdated):
"As I mentioned before the out of region status of the drive will not affect the warranty of the drive at all, that only stands that the drive was supposed to be commercialized in the United States"

josh

Oct 21, 2013

Did you check the SMART info? Might be a return drive.