Looking for recommendations for both 12/24 drive 3.5" disk shelf

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I currently have a SM CSE 216-EL1 paired with a Supermicro X10SRL-F motherboard. I am looking for suggestions on a 12 and 24 drive disk shelf to go with this system.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
What form factor? There is plenty of Netapp, Dell and Xyratex enclosures out there. Try going local if you can to avoid shipping on these heavy items.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
What form factor?
I am open to 2U, 3U, 4U... I don't think I want anything thicker than 4U.

I was hoping to find something like a Supermicro 836 but without the need for a motherboard. My google foo is not working for me and SM website is god awful.

I tried searching for Supermicro "disk shelf", Supermicro "storage", Supermicro "storage enclosure". I click through a few pages and I can not find a 12-24 size unit. I did find one storage enclosure that looks like a back blaze storage pod but that is way more than I want. I click through the pages and everything is either not a SM product or requires a motherboard.

I am going to start looking at Dell and NetApp results.

Last edited:

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
"Supermicro JBOD" should help you find the supermicro variants.
However I think you will find that they are all pretty much full depth so I don't know if that is something you want(?).
Their diskshelves are *mostly* (some exceptions) their server chassis with a blank for the ATX IO panel, a power board for fans, front panel switchc onnector (and the more expensive variety with BMC) and then a cable/bulkhead assembly for the type of internal storage cable to an external connector.

Also besides the various xyratex shelves, the Lenovo / Thinkstation SA120 can be found, new or used and which may nor may not be a xyratex thingie after looking at the pictures...

Reactions: SRussell

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Supermicro 836's are pricey as they are highly demanded for NAS and File Server or even generic server platforms.
Unless you can find some compellent CT-SC030's locally for pickup ;) my average is 90/unit. which makes for a pretty compelling server platform! :eek:

even then expect to spend up to ~ $100-$200.00 or so to JBOD 'em.

Reactions: SRussell